Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gearbox

Old 04-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My gearbox is not functioning as it is suposed to. When i shift it to first gear.. nothings wrong... when i try to shift to seccond i sometimes cant get it in to gear (also on third gear). What do i have to do... if i want to go for a little race with a other car... i cant shift to seccond.

I was thinking about new transmisson oil to start with.
And if that does not word i must take my gearbox out from under my car and put new synchronising rings in it.

I hope someone has got a good advice for me,

Greetings From,

Ralph.

p.s. if you dont understand what i mean i will try to explain it better ( i am not so good in typing in this language).
Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 PM

IF you cant even get it in gear than its not the sycronizers if you can with some grinding or alot of grinding but when you hit the right rpm it goes in than its sycs you will have to repalce those. Don tknow where you can obtain them other than hyundai dealer. oh and the project will be getting done soon i have been working on other stuff and havent spent much time on the car.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 PM

When i drive in low rpm (1500-3000) i can get it from 1st to seccond (without grinding sounds). When i push the gas pedal (to 4000-5500) i hear grinding sounds on shifting when i am trying to get it in to seccond gear. so.. when i drive slow i can shift gears when i drive faster changing gears is getting hard.... when i am in the 4000-5500rpm range i must let the rpm go down to 3000 and my speed down to get it in to seccond gear without grinding sounds ?

i was thinking... maybe my clutch ? that its having a hard time releasing or something ? i realy dont know.... if no one knows then i will do 3 things.. new clutch new sycronizers and new oil and then i will see if it is getting better or worse.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

It's not the clutch.

I would say adjust shifting cables but you said at low RPM you can shift ok. So it's probably syncros.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:21 AM

I would say it is definatly the syncros. At low RPM speeds, there is not a lot of stress on the rings, the gears are turning (relativly) slowly and they have to do only a small amount of work to match the gear speeds.

At higher RPMs, they have to work harder and FASTER to get the gear clusters up to compatable speeds.

Sorry, but it looks like there is a transmission rebuild in your future.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM

i am going to try new oil first and some stuff we use to mix with transmission oil. Sometimes that helps. Well i am going to try it this tuesday.. If it works ill let you know if it does not work my gearbox is going to be rebuild.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

synchron are dead guy