Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

fuel questions

Old 04-01-2002, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel questions

Ok, so i've been messing with this s-afc and i've got some fuel questions.

first, if by increasing your injectors, would you see any befefit at all.(to me it looks like you'd only have more fuel for turbo/nos and no gain on NA). Also if you ran your engine richer than usual, would that improve performance but lessen gas-milage?

i could definetly benefit from one of the guru's this-is-how-it-works type things. wink

ps. I did read randomsrant about fuel trim, but I was wondering more about the effects of running lean or running rich in short and long term. and its affects on gas-miledge and performance.

[ April 01, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 04-01-2002, 06:23 AM

from what i understand if you increase your injector size than you will have to go with an aftermarket ECU (like the haltech unit). something to keep in mind is that from the factory the engine already runs rich as hell. by getting an ignition system (MSD DIS 2), and having your AFC dyno tuned youd see quite a difference. (a real difference with a BBTB, ported IM, CAI, and exhaust)

as far as the effects of running lean:

lean=detonation man. my advice is dont mess witht the settings on the AFC. have the car dyno tuned when your ready. theyll test for detonation, and tweak the settings so your car is pushing as far as it can.

running rich = less gas mileage, and smoke out the exhaust. see... without a better ignition system all that fuel in there isnt getting burned off. plus extra fuel = less air. (i think? ) i think i read something about if you have more fuel going in the cylinder will cool down a bit more, but IMHO that "bit more" isnt enough for me.

i dunno if your askin this so you can decide how to set your afc, but man... dont mess with that thing unless you want an extra hole in a piston.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:50 AM

yeah I guess your right wink Its just so damn cool, and I wanna mess with it. Your sure about the msd ignition thing? how hard is that to put in?
what steps did you take and how mutch did it cost?
Old 04-02-2002, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

By adding to much fuel, you can do serious damage to the engine.

just a little bit too much fuel, and you are just cooling down the combustion chamber and the combustion event, you are also slowing it down a tad.

Way too much fuel can wash the oil layer off the cylinder walls, leading to ring wear and cylinder wall scoring. This leads to lower compression.

Too lean raises combustion tempatures, and can lead to pre-igition, or detonation. It can also raise the temp of the combustion event to the point that you melt pistions, or valves.

modern engine tuning by A.Grahmn Bell or
4 stroke performance tuning by A. Grahmn Bell

Modern engine tuning is more for the enthusiast, but is harder and harder to find. 4 stroke performance tuning is the same book, but with more information, and is written more for the serious racer or serious modifer.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:57 AM

sweet, i think i'm going to go pick a copy of that up. 4-stroke book wink