Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fuel Pump Bad?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all.
For the past few days, immediately after starting the car, it will run very lean when accelerating, even under a light load. A/F reads waaaayyy too high, sometimes up in the 16ish range, at which point I back off the gas. Whenever it starts running lean, it looses a ton of power, so i know that the gauge must be running correctly. Do you guys think that my fuel pump is finally going out now that its been put through contending with the recent turbo addition? I have been really gentle with the car, as in not boosting much if at all, which is why I'm unsure, but I don't know what else it could be.

Since I need to upgrade the pump anyways, I've been looking around for a good 190 lph one. Will this one work ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...rksid=p3907.m32

Thanks all.

PS: I've been finding that there are two 190lph pumps for sale, both Walbro and both in-tank. Their part numbers are GSS250 and GSS278. Will either work? What is the difference?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 99 rd2 coupe 1.8

I believe that u should upgrade the pump, injectors and add an adjustable fuel preasure regulator.Because they might be getting run to their limits.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 PM

^^
That's the plan. But for the pump, are either of those appropriate?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Vehicle: 99 rd2 coupe 1.8

It wouldn't be a bad idea... Also check ur map or maf sensor if that is ok? If u have a k&n filter and u over oil it it can also clog the sensor