Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fishing For Advice On A Tranny Issue

Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

Pics, as promised.

First off, the engine bay just as I got her.

The first bit of progress

Got the radiator out, amongst other things

Getting the hoist hooked up and ready to pull.

Had to stop and take a pic just to celebrate it being out.

And the now-empty engine bay.

Here's a shot of the front transmission mount.

And we wonder why the tranny failed on me?

Here's a couple shots of the exhaust manifold, notice the cracks?

And a parting shot as I left it for the night. Got the auto-tragic off, engine's on the stand, I'll start work on it tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

Looks like some good progress. Those cracks in the manifold are there on purpose. It's for when the mani expands from the heat so it has room to move.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ x2 those are cuts. Without them, you get cracks. Look in the joints where the runners meet for cracks.

The mounts are a standard failure also, not a tranny-killer. Do yourself a favor and get a half-decent set and fill them with silicone rubber to get slightly more-firm mounts. = Good Stuff.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:23 PM

^^ Alright, I've never seen a manifold design like that before. Interesting.

In other news, just found a tranny. Out of an 04 Elantra with only 12k miles smile.gif $350 plus the core. I'll be picking it up today. Expect more progress pics tonight.

K, double post for an update.

Got the new tranny, I lied about the mileage, it's 19k. Paid $375.78 after tax, here's the pics.

And just for fun, here's my fond farewell to the old auto-tragic.

Looks like she's missing two things: The release lever, and the shift cable bracket. Everything else checks out.

My diagnosis for the failure of the old tranny:
1. It's an auto-tragic, that's reason enough.
2. It had probably never had it's fluid or filter changed.
3. Trashed mounts might have contributed to failure via excessive vibration.
4. Radiator leak allowing the tranny fluid to overheat.
For posterity's sake, a pic of the drain pan right after I pulled it.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

lol middle finger picture.... clean up your engine while its out, you wont regret it
Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If I were you, at this point, Id spray down everything with some engine cleaner and then hose it. You can clean deep down in the engine bay with everything off right now. Then when you get done, spray some silicone lube (goes on like WD40) onto it. This keeps things newer and rejuvenated longer. It makes for a nicer installation of everything when you don't have to deal with dirt. Keeping things clean is the way to keep things new. Even small amounts of dirt contribute to premature wear of parts on the engine like bushings, grommets, and even metal. Dirt holds moisture and moisture contributes to oxidation. If you're going through this much work, do a bit of cleaning as preventive maintenance.

Also, just to back up what's been said... Your manifold is the upgraded one. those cuts allow expansion prevent cracking between the runners. Your motor mounts are bad as a symptom of the transmission going out. Most likely you drove your car pretty hard to tear up the mounts like that. However, once you loose that much rubber, the shock and vibration factor will add to the failure of the transmission.

I don't know if you took it out to get a better picture, but your front motor mount picture was missing the insert.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM

^^ I can't agree more on the cleaning advice. Thus far everything I've removed from the engine bay has been cleaned and "freshened" with silicone spray. Now that the engine bay is open, I'll be deep cleaning it as well as the motor and new tranny.