Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

First Engine Trouble

Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Fellas, I was on my way home as usual from work listening to my awesome Kyau vs. Albert CD and right before the ramp to my house the engine turns off. I lost my groove as well as my car! There was clearly power, music was playing, everything was lighted, lights were on, but the motor wasn't running. Auto transmission downshifted as I gradually got onto the break down lane. Turned the key many times, it would crank but the engine wouldn't start! 116k miles on my motor.

My car is down and out in my driveway. The day decided to rain on me so the tow truck didn't come for 3 hours. I can't figure out what the problem is. The engine just won't start. When I give it gas there's no response. I checked my battery terminals, even tried to start the car with a jump battery, nothing.

Help?

-------------

Flashback: I just wanted to say, when I was in 6th grade when the 1996 generation first came out, I was shocked to see Hyundai coming out with beautiful cars. Sure the Tiburons and Elantra Sedans are sardine cans of crap these days, but remembering the feeling they give me when they first came out, I still somehow manage to point them out to my co-workers everytime they pass by --and they think I'm crazy mofo! The feeling that that generation of Hyundai gave me I will never forget and I would never give up my first Generation Tiburon...

I kind of like that Hyundai has much improved since, but they will never be as bold, sleek, consistant, and curvy as they once were, even though they were cheap tin cans I will still love that one generation that made me never want to buy another car. The GK's are quality cars, and have definitely since bumped up a class. Tomorrow I'm going to go to my mechanics to see if he can get me this engine/transmission swap NOW because I love this car. If there is no hope, I will be forced to buy a GK other than another first generation due to these improvements. I'm still strong, but who would turn down a factory supercharged Tiburon?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Fellas, I was on my way home as usual from work listening to my awesome Kyau vs. Albert CD and right before the ramp to my house the engine turns off. I lost my groove as well as my car! There was clearly power, music was playing, everything was lighted, lights were on, but the motor wasn't running. Auto transmission downshifted as I gradually got onto the break down lane. Turned the key many times, it would crank but the engine wouldn't start! 116k miles on my motor.

My car is down and out in my driveway. The day decided to rain on me so the tow truck didn't come for 3 hours. I can't figure out what the problem is. The engine just won't start. When I give it gas there's no response. I checked my battery terminals, even tried to start the car with a jump battery, nothing.

Help?

-------------

Flashback: I just wanted to say, when I was in 6th grade when the 1996 generation first came out, I was shocked to see Hyundai coming out with beautiful cars. Sure the Tiburons and Elantra Sedans are sardine cans of crap these days, but remembering the feeling they give me when they first came out, I still somehow manage to point them out to my co-workers everytime they pass by --and they think I'm crazy mofo! The feeling that that generation of Hyundai gave me I will never forget and I would never give up my first Generation Tiburon...

I kind of like that Hyundai has much improved since, but they will never be as bold, sleek, consistant, and curvy as they once were, even though they were cheap tin cans I will still love that one generation that made me never want to buy another car. The GK's are quality cars, and have definitely since bumped up a class. Tomorrow I'm going to go to my mechanics to see if he can get me this engine/transmission swap NOW because I love this car. If there is no hope, I will be forced to buy a GK other than another first generation due to these improvements. I'm still strong, but who would turn down a factory supercharged Tiburon?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

check everything ignition related. plugs, wires, coil. then make sure the engine is getting fuel. fuel filter been changed lately? what about injectors?

my 2 cents, your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing. thats just what im pulling out of all your posts. that whole airram comment makes him sound shistey.

there isnt a factory supercharged tibby either.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If it just shut down, I'd get your battery and alternator checked first thing.

Is it turning over?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

" it would crank but the engine wouldn't start!"

comeon redz... lol

its prolly not the batt or alternator since it cranks.

Also if your going to do a whole motor tranny swap, there is no way that hope is lost.

Check fuses, def check Your ECM fuse, swifttib had the same thing happen. Car just shut off for no apparent reason and would crank but just not start. Turned out her ECM fuse had blown, she put in a new one and it ran fine ever since
Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Might also want to check your throttle cable, make sure it's allright.

Check every fuze in every fuze box.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 PM

car mods?? .... check your plugs and wires also??
Old 02-06-2006, 10:09 AM

to my understanding there isn't a factory SC tib around, but I think there is a way to order an alpine supercharger to go with a new tib somewhere through the dealership so you get it installed off the line; at least that is what a friend who worked with the dealership told me. but maybe he was wrong and didn't quite understand... he did tell me that saturn has a model which you can do that with right now.

haha tibby01 i don't think my mechanic trusts my custom parts for one reason or another. the bumper went good. wing went good (both made by hyundai) but somewhere in between the evap cannister mess and custom exhaust not fitting right he lost the ability to trust my noobnessz. oh yeah and the alternator belt is still there and new.

my modifications are NGK Spark plugs, AEM Short ram (for now), Lexus HID lights, GT Headers and custom exhaust with extended sensors. throttle cable looks to be working.

OMG Major update!! Thanks fellas, i just found out what's wrong! I checked everything in the engine and it seems to be just fine. It's the fuses! Both 20A ECU, and something that says CON are popped. It was raining the day this crap happened, and I do have an open EVO hood. Could this have caused a short of somekind? What could have caused those two fuses to pop?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^Wow I was right on the money! smile.gif

When this happened to me it was raining as well. Though I had a stock hood on there rain still could have shorted something out. Looks like that same thing might have happened to you. Keep a spare set of fuses in case this happens to you again. fing02.gif
Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 AM

Yeah you were right on the money!! Got 'er all fired back up again and I think that 116k is just as ready to go up to 200k. It's wierd that it had rained Swift, did you have your splash shields on at all? All my splash shields are off for now until I get this evap thing all fixed up.

Maybe my HID kit shorted something out but would that even be able to short out the computer fuse? Definitely going to keep some extra spares...