Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fidanza Friction Surface

Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hello everyone,

I was initially going to replace my fidanza friction surface (part # FIZ-228501) when I install my stage 4 clutchmasters clutch, but since after waiting for more than 2 months from summitracing they cancelled my order for some reason, I was considering just hitting the current 1050 plate with some sandpaper on a wooden block instead. The damn thing is still backordered until this time next month, and it has been pushed back twice already so who knows when they will have it in stock again.

I replaced my ebay 6 puck'er with the oem disc & pp and re-used the current friction surface, it was only glazed, no indentation or serious heat checking was present, and I don't expect much of a change when I pull it back apart. As long as I get rid of the glaze and lightly scuff up the surface I think the new clutch disc should mate just fine.

I would love to have a fresh mating surface for the cm disc, but is it 100% necessary? Has anyone else swapped discs & pressure plates without changing the fidanza friction surface? If so what were the results?

OR does anyone know of a reputable seller of these replacements that has them in stock? The only place I found is this:

http://www.strippermotorsports.com/stinrehoeafi.html

LOL, yeah same for ours as it is for a vw, but I am weary of unknown websites and just wondered if anyone has a site they have previously done business with that sells these and hopefully has our part # in stock.

Thanks so much.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Bump.

I just re-ordered through summit, opinions welcome on whether it is necessary though.

Obviously it would be optimal to replace it as to have the freshest break in surface for the clutch disc (hence why I am purchasing it again, lol). But like I said I never replaced it when I swapped back to my stock clutch and it holds very well so...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

if it's good condition with minor heat spots just clean it out with a piece of 80 grit sandpaper
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Cool, thanks denisst for the reply.

That is what I did last time.

I think this time I am going to replace the friction surface just to MAKE SURE the CM stage 4 has a perfect break in surface to bond with. This will ensure it holds the most power it can (since I am going to be running 300+ whp).

Thanks for the info, I will likely keep the old surface just in case the CM chews up the new one over time, I could always run the old one again.