Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Resonator Removal

Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about doings this free DIY since i first got my car... someone on this site recommended it. I started doing some research about it, and im not very clear about many things.

firstly, Im not sure why the resonator should be removed. I mean, is there really a reason to remove it? it must be there for a reason right?

secondly, i have a good friend who works on his 03 eclipse alot and is intelligent about car work (im not yet). he said it would be stupid to do. (i wasn't really paying attention when he explained why), all i know is he mentioned removing it would cause some kind of hole? and alow something to get dirty?

sorry to sound so stupid, im really trying to get an understanding of car work and get good at it. basicly my question is... what harm can come from this DIY? Is it really worth it? what results will i see?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

No harm will come from it, the only thing you're really doing is allowing another passage for air to get into your engine (a good thing). Yes you are adding another hole, but it happens before the filter, so you're not getting unfiltered air in there. Your friend may think it is post-filter, which wouldn't be good.
The whole "they put it there so it must be there for a good reason" isn't a valid excuse (and bad logic to boot), so get rid of it! As far as I know, it's just there to help reduce the noise level somehow.
Results are noted in the removal DIY. It's not quite as much as a full CAI, but it's a free mod that helps a little bit.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 PM

so would the more air reaching the engine give better MPG? also, no where on the DIY does it say how difficult it is to do. reading the instructions it sounds pretty easy, but this will be my first mod iv ever done.

lastly, you say the resonator reduces the noise level, well my car is already fairly loud, what kind of noise will i be getting lol?.

btw, i keep reading that we need a CAI after doing this mod, is this true? I can not afford one right now, and i may never get one. with that in mind, is doing the mod a waste?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

QUOTE (gen1xslugger @ Jan 27 2008, 01:38 AM)
so would the more air reaching the engine give better MPG? also, no where on the DIY does it say how difficult it is to do. reading the instructions it sounds pretty easy, but this will be my first mod iv ever done.

You will get a little bit more power and maybe 1 MPG less. difficulty level is a couple of bolts to remove. Best part is that you really cant mess anything up. (DO NOT take the screen off the MAF though)

lastly, you say the resonator reduces the noise level, well my car is already fairly loud, what kind of noise will i be getting lol?.

Car intakes make some noise but its really a nice growl when you hit the gas. The exhaust is way louder then the sound of the intake most times.

btw, i keep reading that we need a CAI after doing this mod, is this true? I can not afford one right now, and i may never get one. with that in mind, is doing the mod a waste?

A CAI is the proper replacement of removing your resonator airbox. I ran with a cone filter on the end of my MAF for a while before i got my intake. Think of a car engine as a leaf blower. The better your open up the intake the easier it is for your car to breathe.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM

you say 1 mpg less.. so im loosing gas millage? cuz im already getting terrible mpg.

i hear what you say about the CAI, but what if i dont ever get one... is it bad if i take off resonator and keep it like that forever?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Yes, you will pull a little bit of warm engine air in. A CAI is one of the cheapest mods. you can get an Ebay one under 50 bucks or look in the for sale and maybe get lucky.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

The whole process is very easy. The problem most people encounter, as well as I did, is that 2 bolts on the bottom resonator are hard to get to for some people. It all depends on the tools you have. Other than that its very simple.

As far as the reason the resonators are there is noise level. In order for Hyundai to bring these cars into the states they have to meet certain requirements and noise level was a concern at that time. The resonators are just 2 or 3 extra little containers for the air to pass through before reaching the intake. By removing everything up untill the air box you remove these restrictions.

It will not make a huge difference in sound but you will most likely feel a difference. Your car will be more willing to go then previous.

Go ahead and take it off and reset the ECU(take negative cable off the battery and press the brake for 30 seconds) and drive around for a while. If you don't like it you can always put it back
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM

i suppose i can just try it and always put back together if i need to. maybe someday i will get a CAI.

so for now i can remove the resonator AND the air duct forever without any problems even if i never put in a CAI?
after removing these, i do not fill up the hole? (on the DIY alot of ppl said they filled it up)
Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

They filled the holes because they were confused. They only removed one resonator. everything from the cubed airbox with the filter in it is removed. There is a box with a waffle type pattern on it(thats the "hard" one to remove) and the air duct that runs along the front of the engine bay.

It should go TB, hose to MAF, AirBox, and then the hole from the bottom half of the air box is where it will breathe from.

Everything in the little black box in this picture is removed. Everything else stays.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM

ok wow this is bad but what exactly is TB and MAF?