Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

a few exhaust questions

Old 04-01-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few exhaust questions

I have a 98 Tib, 5-speed, 2.0L

1) i just got my car-sound high flow CAT but it doesn't have the arrow on it showing what direction the exhaust should flow. Does the direction not matter on these?

2) after my header and CAT i still have the factory pipe and resonators but a different muffler. Would it help performance much if i replaced the pipe with 2.5 instead of the 2.25 but still add a resonator to keep it quieter?

3) if i keep the stock 2.25 pipe, which resonator would be best to remove for power gains? One is shaped like a CAT, the other like a glass-pac.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2002, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well technically it doesn't matter which way you flow through a cat, its all good wink does the same thing both ways.

and if were talking crunched pipe, then yeah, 2.5" would give you better gains with a aftermarket muffler and headers. It'll end up giving you the equivalent of 2.25" mandrel bent, so you'll get better gains then the 2"+ stock.

You definetly don't want to do 2.5" mandrel bent because you'll end up with too mutch turbulence in your exhaust, unless you run a hella lot of NA mods and even then 2.25" mandrel is good. If your running NOS supercharger or turbo, then you want 2.5".

And if your going to replace one of those, replace the one that looks like a cat, but that might make your car fail emissions. as long as you keep one cat in the exhaust, you'll be good.

did I make any sense? probably not. wink

[ April 02, 2002, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Decker ]