Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

exhaust for 99? 2000?

Old 05-16-2001, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust for 99? 2000?

hey guys does an exhaust or catback for 99 tiburons fit on a 2000? is the hks sport exhaust a whole catback? is it worth 350?
Old 05-16-2001, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Exhaust did not change between first and second gen, other than exhaust tip

The HKS system is a "axle" back. Really just a mufflr with a 2 foot pipe to the closest connector.

Is it worth it for $350? When you can get the complete KORE cat back for that price? You do the math.
Old 05-16-2001, 11:01 PM

hmmm... that's interesting. i wanna know, isn't it cheaper to buy a muffler and get a shop to make a pipe for the rest? are all mufflers basically the same? dang man, don't wanna waste money on something sucky.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:37 AM
Red

The problem is with the actual catalyst on the 2.0l Tiburons...

A cat back system will provide very minimal benefits in most cases, because of a lack of flow at either the cylinder head, header design, or catalyst design. Sure it will make better sounds and look good, but actual dynoplots by users on FXTreme show that they actually make almost no power.

The problem with the 2.0L Tiburon is mostly the catalyst. If you rip off the stock catalyst to have a look, it has a horrendous design for actual exhaust flow. It has a inlet that goes straight, but the outlet is actually out the bottom SIDE, and not the end. Thus, the exhaust has to make a VERY abrupt 90-degree turn inside the catalyst, and this absolutely sucks for flow.

There are lots of things I could rattle off about, primarily exhaust flow reversion and high pressure gradients, but none of it would probably make any sense smile.gif

In all honesty, it would be easier just to buy a cat-back from SR and bolt it on. The pipes would be prettier, the fit would have been tested on multiple cars, and you know the people who make it. If you really trust your exhaust shop, then a custom exhaust is also a viable alternative. The problem exists if they screw up, don't use corrrect hangars, do a shoddy job, or use "generic" pipes.

I had my exhaust built custom by a Midas shop where I knew several of the people, and they still screwed up. After about 9 months, my glasspack rattled, my flex pipe leaked, two welds had already broken and had to be re-welded, among other things.

I finally had it all re-done by another shop which had a better reputation, and they did do a very good job. I'm still having problems with the header collector bolts backing out, but I have an easy fix for that.

The SR catback is a good unit, you may as well just go with what you know. If you want real performance out of your exhaust, this is the time to rip off the entire stock exhaust, and replace it all with a true header, free-flow catalyst, and cat-back setup.

-Red-
FXTreme Performance Forums Moderator
Old 05-17-2001, 12:44 PM

WOW MAN, UR THE MAN! I ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING THAT U SAID. SO HOW DO I GET AN SR CAT BACK? I DIDN'T SEE IT ON THE SHARK RACING WEB SITE. OH, AND HOW MUCH IS IT TO GET INSTALLED? DO U KNOW? THANX MAN.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I believe Red is refering to the KORE unit. Shark Racing does not have a Cat back system at this time.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:53 PM

hey man but shark racing had one before. but how do i order one from kore though the site is not workin?