Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Estimating Repair List. Help Me Out With Opinions.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:54 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lots of pics close up to show where oil is showing up a lot. I do think that this engine needs some help, but I'm trying to figure out if the leak is at the valve cover, or at the head gasket. Its overheated a bit, but never enough to warp the head I dont believe. I do notice substantial leakage up near the bolts on the valve cover though. I thought initially that my leak was from a bad drain plug on the oil pan, but once I got down there today I thought.. OH Sh!t I better see what the others think. So tell me what you can from the pics. I took some just to show the actual Block where I cant seem to find any leakage where it meets up with the head. But its obvious that I'm getting a lot of oil from the valve cover. I also pulled the timing cover and yup, tons of oil near there too. No wonder I've been getting such a bad squeek from my brand new belts that are tightened fine. Car's running like ass at idle, but otherwise fine.

I've noticed that the tranny is just starting to give signs of giving up. This car will just get a doner engine and auto tranny, but I took a vid clip so you guys can hear and see what I'm talking about. I thought for a long long time, that my wheel bearing was going on the drivers wheel. But as the car was jacked up today, I tried to wiggle the wheel from top to bottom with my hands, and it was solid? Like the bearing was fine? So I started moving the wheel back and forth like it was spinning, and OH Sh!T! the clicking noise thats been bugging me is coming from inside pan under the tranny. So listen to the clip, I cant view it, but please let me know that you guys can, my media player is jacked up...

http://www.flyryde.com/vids/trannynoise.AVI

Now the pics, take a good look... Thanks ahead

-Chris

Old 12-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

pics no worky

the video sounds like the bearings. it doesnt have to move or wigle for your bearings to be bad. it also might be something else like the thing that slides into your spindle (i forget the name of it) it has a knuckle on it that could be making the noise aswell.

from how u explain the oil leak it sounds as if your valve cover gasket needs to be replaced. if you got oil on your timing belt i would suggest that you change it too. anyway your valve cover gasket is really easy to fix but if u need help i guess i could help u but it will cost u a hood lmao.gif

EDIT: after seeing the pics it is your valve cover gasket and your oil pan gasket is leaking aswell. easy fix bud
Old 12-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Your pic links do not work, make sure they are up. Judging by what you say, if it's oil in the upper area, it's probably the valve cover rubber gasket gone bad, cheap to replace; sometimes oil drains down once it's out and it seems it's from the head, but its only the valve cover.
If you are not going to turbo the engine, I suggest you build it with 1.8 pistons (cheap at kspec) and GK gaskett and let us know how it helps performance.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 PM

Just so you guys know this is my wifes tib, not the race tib. But I fixed the pics, sorry about that, for some reason after I fixed them the first time it went back to the original post? I had an extra letter in the url for each pic, and it was making the links fail. They should work now.

The car will never be turbo, it'll have some N/A products on it from FlyRyde, but no huge power makers. This car is getting kitted, a new engine, a new tranny if needed, and it will be sold to help pay for a GTV6 auto for my wife. Right now I'd guess I can bring in maybe 2-3 grand on it, after 1000 bux, I hope to sell for 6-7K. Keep in mind all parts will be at my distributor costs, and the labor will be done by me alone. So aside from a week of work, the car will only cost me paint. I have an engine with 60K ready for it, I have a new type S front bumper, and ww sides and rear for it. It needs one dent pulled and smoothed on the hatch, and it needs paint for fenders, hatch, front sides and rear. I figure I'll spend a G. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I dont see how the noise could be from the bearing, when its coming from the tranny. Should it really sound so loose in the auto tranny. Mind you I've gone through 2 auto trannys till they were toast, so this being my 3rd auto tranny going on me, I'm not hopeful that it will not need to be replaced.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:13 PM

QUOTE (SilentSecret @ Dec 18 2005, 07:15 PM)
EDIT: after seeing the pics it is your valve cover gasket and your oil pan gasket is leaking aswell. easy fix bud

word.gif

As silent says, it's the valve cover only, it has leaked down. On the lower part as also said, it's the oil pan. About the tranny I wouldn't know... but those are made to be used till they fall apart lmao.gif
Old 12-18-2005, 06:27 PM

could you guys SEE the vid? Just checkin. Yeah, the gasket I'll just hope they have in stock at the local dealer, cause I'll want one new. The oilpan some stinky liquid gasket sould do the trick. I'll just run an engine flush through, drain for a few hours, remove the pan, clean and add gasket bead around the edge, prolly the blue stuff, then I'll pull the valve cover, take a few minutes to install the new rubber gasket, bolt it on, new oil filter, fill with new high milage oil, and maybe even change the fuel filter?

Sound like I'll be running good again? I just want to clean up the engine bay and degrease the hell out of it. This car has to look, and run great for me to sell it.

My only worry is that stupid tranny. It makes clicking noises everytime I go over a speed bump or just after I start the car and reverse out of the driveway. I'd hope its a bearing, but why the noise from the tranny? You think the bearing could be making noise that comes out from the otherside of the axle? If you think so please tell me why, lol. Thanks guys.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

use a bottle of simple green on that bad boy, drive to the car wash, wash your car, then hit up the engine.

When you get back home you should be able to tell almost exactally from where the leak is comming.

IMO it looks like some kid had your car before and pulled the heads off without replacing the head gasket as it is leaking uniformly.

What gear is your tranny in?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

haha.gif haha.gif ^^^^^

lmao.gif
ummm..... i uhh stupified if thats a word thats is what i am.

*shakes head in confusion*

if the head was ever puled as u said the car would not run. u would get oil n your water and vise versa and exhaust throught both the water and oil ports = car won't run. also the tranny is auto does it matter what gear?

chris:
it might sound like its coming from the tranny but think about it how close is the bearings to the auto tranny? and i really hope its your bearings cuz that would be simple. anybody know what that thing is called that goes into your spindle?(cv joint?)? anyway i think it is that cuz it has a knuckle on it that allows it to pivot and if it gets dirt or wore out it will make noise like a clicking that you are hearing.

these are my 2 cents and thats prolly all there worth aswell.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

wtf1.gif Did i type heads? You're right about the heads I meant to say valves. If you look at picutre there's oil on top of the engine. It could have just been blown around, it could have been that the oil cap was left off, or it could be leaky valve cover. I think that it needs to be cleaned before any analysis can be done from pictures.

I've heard some pretty loud park gears in my life. I used to own a automatic Toyota Camery that was like that in any gear. eventually the differential blew a hole in the bottom of the tranny. I was taking off, hit some ice, tires spun, hit pavement, and rolled to a stop. Gear was just sitting there on the ground.

It took "bill's tranmission & BBQ Pit" a month to fix it. Hey, i'm from montana man.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:27 PM

I'm pretty damn handy with a tibby, so the oil cap left off is definitely not one of those possible situations. I very highly doubt the valve cover would have been pulled for any reason though, as the original owner knew nothing about the car. Its old as hell though, basically coming up on its 10th birthday. its a 96 built Rev A. The oldest of our breed.

I dont know why but I just doubt it to be a bad bearing. Everying I get a bad bearing, the wheel is shakable from top to bottom. This was advice to me by... [angel voices]aaaahhhhhh "The Random"[/angel voices]

I've personally yanked the spindle off both my 97s including this one, and taken them to get new bearings pressed. I'm a friggin bearing replacer pro. And this just seems different. What it seams like, is that the CV joint is fine, the boot is completely intact with no tears, and the splines are all correctly inserted both through the brake system, as well as the other side in the tranny. The prob TO ME at least, is that by spinning the wheel forward to backward as in the vid, the friggin TRANNY makes noise, NO noise from the bearing at all. And when you've swapped bearings as many times as I have, you'll know that damn noise and what to look for. No grinding ever, no squeak, no wobble (except for bad alignment) no bad bearing noise at all, except that I figured when you heard that clicking like in the vid, it was from a bearings internals crackling together like often happens when they go bad. But again, I got my ear right up to where the axle passes into the brake system, right next to the bearing, and nothing at all. Sounds fine. BUT the damn tranny makes a noise and allows me to spin the tire (obviously while jacked off the ground like in the vid) back and forth without feeling solid. Its like its got a gear inside that has too much play in it.

I pray somehow its the bearing, but I have ZERO symptoms of a bad bearing, and again I know my sh!t with bad wheel bearings. Cant you hear the clicking coming from the tranny in the vid, or does it seem as though it could be coming from elsewhere, because I can ASSURE you its coming from the tranny. Maybe its one of those things where you have to hear it in person, but I thought in the vid it got louder as I moved the camera closer to the pan under the tranny. If not I meant it to, since thats where it was the loudest, I figured the camera would pick that up. Maybe not. Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I hate repair. I wish all money spent on the car was for upgrade. Like people with new cars. Bastards. lol.