Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine displacement

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Engine displacement

after minor accident my engine sits crooked in my engine bay, i was slightly in a collision and struck some guys cobalt and smashed in the right headlight area in pretty bad (also pushed the radiator into exhaust manifold and ruined the front bumper and reinforcement bar, that is about it, since i got it all back into one piece again but one problem still remains

It seems my engine and transmission is displaced..the main way i can tell is that by looking down by the engine transmission motor mount to the right of the catalytic converter, the rubber motor mount itselfis contacting the metal bracket and forced all the way to the drivers side area, the car drives fine and obviously a little out of alignment but drives, and everything is good, but i noticed it slowly shifted to the right against the metal bracket of the transmission motor mount that is bolted to the crossmember over time by driving, are our cars engineered to be ok with this kind of thing, or will it get worse and breaks, I could seriously use an experts opinion on this

Heres a lil pic I created using ms paint

Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If your car has not looked like this since the wreck happened, you may have quite a lot of work ahead.

The radiator is held by the radiator support. Your radiator got smashed in . . . so I have a sneaking suspicion that your support is tweaked. Straightening it out is not even a thing I would try to do. The true proper fix IF your radiator support is bent is to get a spot weld removal bit and one of these

If you haven't already, you need to go to hyundaitechinfo and get the measured engine bay drawings and measure your car to see if it's really tweaked or what. Heck it could even be a bent mount or cradle but I suspect from the nature of the accident that the radiator support is bent.

Blue Bomber's revival picture progress thread: https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f..._1#entry578795
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Yup that sounds about right.. Thanks, Stocker

In your picture #1, that bottom support beam there that the radiator would sit on was smashed in, the spot right perpendicular to your alternator in your picture, directly pushed back into the exhaust

I have been eye-balling it a lot and i've been left without any real explanation on what to do about it since there is no real thing you can do with steel (or stainless)anyway

I would of did the same thing too (with the frame and all) but I bought the reinforcement bar which bolted up nicely i guess (totally different than regular mechanics and really out of my element so-to-speak and into the collision field)

I predict the engine would eventually rip itself out of the frame incase the motor twists that bad, but there is no apparent twisting, the mounts just moved to one side. but it seems there is enough evidence to choose that the impact gave enough lee-way to cause the motor mount to shift

Like, RIP OUT! So I'm counting on Hyundai's intuition and experience to tell myself that it will be ok and I put in a lot of time in the gym so I can not pay attention to it and do not want to worry about it (Ripping out engines or paying someone is something that I do not do, I just usum to pass my inspection) o_O

Oh yeah, I bought this car back last summer and my everyday life requires me to drive hella lot to get where I have to go. So the way I put miles on my car I am not trying to get too attached to it cause I know just where it's gonna end up, due to mileage, and that's all that I count to keep track of things any more.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM

After all, I do not think it could do any real damage
Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Hey, an entire new rad support is like $220 off eBay. It takes an afternoon to drill out the old item and weld on a new one. I believe that the front motor mount is bolted to the SUBFRAME though, not the rad support.

It is possible to change the subframe but I'd imagine it'd be a hellish amount of work. If it is the subframe, you might be able to hammer the mount back into place and get away with it. On the accent, you can unbolt the engine mount from the subframe too, so that is another option.

It's really just a case of getting in there with a torch and a straightedge.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Some people have welded their motor mounts solid. It won't rip anything out, but it might rattle your teeth a bit at idle. Honestly if it were me, I'd either see about elongating motor mount bolt holes to adjust the mount to have SOME vibration isolation, or else I'd just leave it. If you can do a halfass alignment and get it to track straight, you're probably pretty close to good.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

Vehicle: Spam-mobile

better consult any technician as soon as possible. he can sort it out easily.