Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

engine clearence

Old 12-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Solo Loses It Part 1

hi im looking into the kspec head gasket and was wonding the beta engines 2.0 what clearence are they my dad is going to help put this on and he said make sure its not a zero clearence cause you can blow stuff on the engine so what clearence is it thanx for the help
Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Global Warming and Major Natural Disasters

Are you talking about piston to valve clrearance, if so the beta is a zero clearance motor meaning if you snap your cam belt you will bend some valves but this should have nothing to do with the kspec head gasket since it is raising the head and not lowering it. When you raise the head up to lower compression it will cause your cams to advance by a few degrees but this is nothing to worry about, Alpine has been doing it for years with no problem.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I never heard of the clearance issue. Many people run the gaskets with no problems. However, I would never use a head gasket to lower compression ratio.

I don't understand why your using it. You have to be shooting for lower than 225WHP, otherwise you would be using stronger pistons that can hold boost. Pistons are the real way to lower compression, and a lot more useful. You don't need 8.5:1 compression on lower than 225WHP. 10.3:1 is going to handle it better if your running 180-190WHP at like 8 PSI.

If you lower compression to 8.5:1 and your making 180WHP. YOUR GOING TO LOSE POWER. If your going near 210WHP, your pistons are going to go shortly, so you might as well get 8.5:1 pistons. They hold more than stock (TigerLlily is cheap and holds 350HP) and are the real fix to compression ratio.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: New Decal Design Contest...

no i plan on running about 280whp till next year when i do get pistons i heard this would work np if it didnt why would they sell it
Old 12-28-2004, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: New Decal Design Contest...

Mad, Dweet, or somebody. Fix the above post. I clicked quote myself instead of edit. oops.gif

Why would you buy a gasket when your just going to buy pistons anyway? You'd save money buy just buying the pistons now and doing it right. Tim has been pushing 280WHP on his Elantra, but thats with I must say has to be great tuning if it hasn't blown yet.

I don't know the quality of Tim's intercooling system. I don't own it. But if 280whp and a good amount of heat is getting into that engine... Your going to blow it.

I could see someone pushing 280Whp on nitrous. Its not so much the horsepower your putting on the piston, its the heat your bringing into it from the turbo.

T3s (I think thats whats in the Extreme) aren't large turbos. Smaller turbos create more heat. Heat is what kills turbocharged engines, along with all that power.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You are too lazy to edit your posts?

I'm to lazy to edit them too then.

I just deleted the double posts.

Cut the crap out.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Re: a few crazy pics of my 97 tib

I would go with the lower compression pistons too. Not only will it give you superior flow characteristics from having the head clamped to the engine the way it is supposed to, but it will give you brand new pistons and rings at the minimum... Remember, everytime you add a new joint, you make a new place for a leak.. and the head to block joint is no place for a leak.