Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Do hood spacers really work?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Do hood spacers really work?

Ive held off on getting some washers from a hardware store to do the hood spacer mod, mainly because I hate the way it looks. To me, hood spacers make the hood appear like it doesnt fit and theres something wrong with the car. However Im willing to look past the weird appearance the hood has after installing them if there some kind of documented proof that adding spacers really does make a significant difference in under hood temps. Has anyone ever measure a before and after calculation with them? Or is the different so minimal that its not even worth spending the $5 on washers to do the mod and making your hood look stupid?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

yes, they will work.. the theory works and you will actually feel the warm air venting at idle. it will be most effective at keeping the temp down the slower you are going or stopped though. When you are moving (driving, accelerating) there is a good deal of outside air circulating through your engine.

Its when your stopped that vents and spacers help release engine bay heat and prevent it from getting warmer than it should.

Granted, when your moving, vents and spacers would help the air circulate better, but i would doubt it would be significant when the car is in motion.

I would say that this mod would be more of a 'do it because it DOES help somewhat, no matter how negligible' for the ricers mostly.

I've never seen any documentation, but i think a temperature test would register a noticeable decrease when the engine bay has no air flow through it (when your stopped) idling and wouldn't have much effect when your driving.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

The other thing here is it doesn't have to look rediculous like that. Less washers=less gap. I think I did 3 on each side and removed the gasket in the back of the bay to definitely notice a "to the touch" temperature after a spirited drive. The only annoyance for me is the extra windshield fog I pick up on cooler nights from the engine heat hitting the glass.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

IMO it makes it look like you got into a wreck and it wasn't fixed right, just yank the weather stripe thing out.. if your car has one. heh. :paranoid: