Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   DECREASE YOUR SHIFTING TIME!!!!!! 4 FREE (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/decrease-your-shifting-time-4-free-21129/)

1997tibby 08-05-2004 07:23 AM

Re: How about a bolt/stud package?

Heres a quick tip on how to increase your shift time, for MANUAL transmissions only, with pull type clutchs only. On top of the transmission case, sits the cluch cylinder... the hose that goes to one side has a 12mm bolt in it, take out that bolt, and push the other end, the springy side, and a little "shrader" should pop out, if not use a magnet and extract the spring, re-install the 12mm bolt and the hose, bleed the clutch, and enjoy. Now its not going to be a huge difference but if you really know your car, you can Really tell theres a difference. the cluch should ingauge quicker and grab lower........This in turn reduces clutch wear. if anyone would like anymore information, or clarifacation please respond.

REDZMAN 08-05-2004 07:26 AM

DECREASE YOUR SHIFTING TIME!!!!!! 4 FREE

Why in the hell would you want to "Increase your shifting time?"

You need to take some pics and such for this to be a DIY, not to mention some spelling lessons.

wink.gif

hyper25 08-05-2004 11:26 AM

Re: SAFC Wiring

dont you mean decreasing???? im confussed now 8O

TibRacer01 08-05-2004 12:17 PM

Re: LEDs or Incandescent, Which is brighter?

This was a DIY on the other site.

a_gut 08-05-2004 02:22 PM

Re: 19's on tib???

From http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/t...pic.php?t=42405

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Tools needed:

Ratchet
6 in. extension
12mm socket
12mm wrench
10mm wrench
Bottle of DOT4 brake fluid
PLENTY of wrags & a small bowl

Numbers correspond to the pic below.

1. Remove the clip and pop out the centering bolt.

2. Loosen the bleeder screw 10mm, then tighten it back up just a little. This will make it easier whne it comes time to bleed the system.

3. Loosen the banjo bolt but don't remove it completely. 12mm

4. Remove both bolts 12mm

Once the cylinder is loose of the tranny lift it up and place it in the bowl. Then remover the banjo bolt. There's a sealing washer on each side of the banjo bolt, be sure not to loose these. ( If the bolt is put back in without these washers it will leak ) let the line stay in the bowl, this way brake fluid doesn't run all over the top of the tranny.

Once the banjo bolt is completely out tilt the cylinder back and a small spring with a valve that has what looks like a pinhole in it should fall right out. If it for some reason doesn't, then push the clutch rod back into the cylinder. This will push out any fluid still inside and should pop the spring and valve out also.

Once the valve and spring are out reverse the removal process.

Once everythng is back together fill the slave master up with fluid. Open the bleeder screw and wait for fluid to start coming out. Close the bleeder, fill the master back up, put the top back on. Then bleed the system.

After the system is bled and ready to go get a hose and wash off the entire area with water. Also wash any other place that fluid got on. If you get fluid on the paint wash it off immediately as it will remove the paint.

Once it's bled and washed off you're ready for a test drive. The pedal will feel the same but the engagement and disengagement should be much more consistent.

http://www.hmaservice.com/xml/graphics/eo/eoda015a.jpg

It's the removal of the Valve Spring and Value plate................</div>

I did this mod, the clutch does feel like it grabs faster. For a 98-01 tib the correct link is http://www.hmaservice.com/xml/graphics/r7/r7ch017a.gif

paperstsoapco 08-05-2004 02:47 PM

Re: SR Whiteface Guages

sorry, but what are the advantages of increasing ones time to shift ?

TibRacer01 08-05-2004 02:57 PM

Re: SR Whiteface Guages

The title should be changed to decreasing.

col96fx 08-05-2004 04:38 PM

Re: stocker tirer

I've done this mod on my tib also, and I felt a diff right away. I found the biggest benifit is when double clutching, b/c the clutch engages more positively during the shift. :twisted:
And yes I think the title should read decrease or improve tongue.gif

cdogtibby1 08-05-2004 05:13 PM

Re: Custom FG subwoofer enclosures

sounds like a really BAD idea to me.... honestly why would they put those things in the clutch if they didnt do something somewhat important. personally i really wouldnt recommend taking things out of the clutch, but thats just me. ohh and it really sounds like this whole process would be a big PITA.... but thats just my .02

col96fx 08-05-2004 06:02 PM

How to open headlights for Angel Eyes?

The part you remove is just a restricter for the fluid return line.
Removeing it just make the clutch engage quicker.
The manufacturer prolly put it there to save the clutch & gearbox a little.
There is realy no diff unless you let the clutch out fast.

1997tibby 08-06-2004 07:24 AM

Re: 97 Tiburon vs. 03 Acura RSX type S

I see what everyone means about the subject title, i guess you can think of it like that, decreasing, i though of it, faster shift time= increase shift time. sorry everyone, for the confusion.

tibwrcsbj 08-06-2004 08:14 AM

Re: stocker tirer

im going to have to agree w/ cdog that this really dsoesn't sound like a good idea to me. Maybe if your warranty is expired or void for some other reason, but i would think that (even though its part of the clutch "system") this would probably void your drivetrain warranty in the off chance it was discovered......

REDZMAN 08-06-2004 10:56 AM

Re: Grounding kit???????

No, increasing something makes it bigger. So your shift times would be bigger. 2 seconds instead of 1.

Decreasing makes things smaller, so something 2 seconds would be 1.

TigerShark420 09-15-2004 09:02 PM

Re: Sputtering @ Low RPMs

Hey gang,
I just did this mod today , along with the coolant bypass mod.
I must say , the clutch feels ALOT differant! Much more like a sports car should feel like , not too stiff but the engagement is verry presice.
O and btw, this will INCREASE the life of your clutch not decrease it to clear up the confusion.

Less slip=longer life

Just finished up the coolant bybass , about to go for a test drive- ill inform yall exactly how much that benefits us honda eaters 8)

REDZMAN 09-16-2004 04:54 PM

Re: How much?

Glad you are searching and trying stuff out.

You won't notice a direct increase with the TB mod, but it does have a good effect.

I still don't know aout this clutch mod.

focushunter 09-18-2004 04:31 PM

Does any1 actualy have a dyno.....

I did this mod and not even 2 months later at the track I shifted from 3rd to 4th at around 6200rpm and blew the clutch apart. Since that day I never went and did the mod again. My 2 cents and opinion that maybe it had somethign to do with it or not but seems odd cause clutch didnt show no signs of slippage or warning signs just out of nowhere went boom that night.

01roller 09-18-2004 04:58 PM

Re: Does any1 actualy have a dyno.....

im kinna skeptical about this mod, and even more so with an aftermarket clutch...

1997tibby 09-20-2004 07:23 AM

Re: I'm back photoshoot.

i've had this mod on my car for about 3 months, i rev the piss out of my engine, slamming gears, speed shifting, power shifting. its helped in so many ways, i've actually gained .1-.2 sec in the 1/4 mile. cant wait to go race again not that i put my short throw speed shifter in my car.!!!!

nsane 09-22-2004 06:57 PM

Re: Initial D 4th stage 5 & 6 (5 and 6 are now released!

Hey this is my first post on here but i have been readin around

i just wanted to bring up the idea of your synchronizerz , wouldnt this help blow em out , cuz when your synchrnozerz in anygear blows out hyundai automatically tries to tell you its a 900 fix .. they say you have to replace all 5 synchos for each gear and its not under warrenty cuz your clutch is a 12/12 warrenty but i got by that by switching to another dealership, but its a real pain its like a 5 day fixed. .. just thought i would bring up the idea to you all.

1997tibby 09-23-2004 05:15 AM

Re: Get a free Ipod!!!

you know, i thought about that as well, but it shouldnt really matter. because it doesnt matter how fast i alppy the clutch, the syncros still slow down to help gear meshing. But if it costs $900 to have your syncros replaced, FCUK THAT!!!! it only cost me $350 for a whole new transmission.

nsane 09-23-2004 02:22 PM

Re: ~Tasty~ --- The Speed-Factor turbo kit has arrived, pics

thats thru the dealership but .. o i got em replaced free 300 miles b4 warrenty up and then they started saying they were gonna charge me for jacking up my car cuz my kit makes the car to low.. 2 nchs is plenty .. lol

tibwrcsbj 09-23-2004 02:31 PM

Re: Engine Swaps

NSANE.......Please use proper ENGLISH. This is a specific car make/model forum.......NOT AIM.

SilentSecret 09-23-2005 08:54 PM

so does this mod work? or is it unreliable? im confused Eyecrazy.gif yesno.gif

hamhead 09-23-2005 09:13 PM

I myself wouldn't do it.

01importshark 09-23-2005 10:32 PM

i would never EVER do that.. that restrictor or spring is there for a reason... yes, making things last longer.. you want less slippage.. learn how to shift.. or granny shift.. u want more stiff, positive shifts, get an aftermarket clutch.. just taking things off and running with it can prob cause big problems down the road.. ill just stick with my 4 puck clutch and not mess with all that stuff..

a_gut 09-24-2005 01:49 PM

I've had this mod for almost 20k miles, no probs - and I can chirp 3rd gear wink1.gif

CRO_OOL 10-13-2005 07:34 PM

Ive done this mod and it works very well fing02.gif

If you have not done this mod or a sceptical... then don't do it and help the clutch companies make more money when you have to buy new clutch plates etc cause the factory systems lets the hydralic fluid through so slowly on a quick shift its like your riding the clutch haha.gif

As for the tranny wear... If you do the mod and shift exactly the same as you normally would then it isnt going to cause more wear.

SilentSecret 02-12-2006 10:19 PM

im still confused about this DIY is it good to do or not? any1 who has done it have problems?

and can somone give me some pics to go with this?

SilentSecret 02-18-2006 05:22 PM

well i went to do this today and found no restrictor thing so that means the car hasnt had one sence b4 i bought it so 15000 miles with no trouble on this mod. i guess it works great..... lol

Mad-Machine 02-18-2006 05:42 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cro_ool @ Oct 13 2005, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you have not done this mod or a sceptical... then don't do it and help the clutch companies make more money when you have to buy new clutch plates etc cause the factory systems lets the hydralic fluid through so slowly on a quick shift its like your riding the clutch haha.gif</div>

I for one think the restrictor is there for a reason.. maybe not the one we all think.. but there has to be a reason for it to be there.

As for wearing out the clutch early.. I am almost at 119,000 miles on the original clutch in my car... and I have never done the mod

Tibminn 02-18-2006 05:52 PM

ok lets say I tried this mod out... would the clutch be able to hold more hp? I assume so since people say it slips less.... or would it be even worse to try this on a higher horsepower application?

Dmitry 02-19-2006 05:06 AM

IMO, if you remove this restrictor clutch will just engaged quicker. It will not influence on hp level that clutch will be able to handle, because you are not upgrading disk and/or pressure plate.

Tibminn 02-19-2006 03:40 PM

Thanks for the reply D!

My next question then is would it be more dangerous to try it on a car with more hp? or would the risks basically be the same? from what i see the arguement is mainly the effects it would have on the clutch itself, so basically I would just risk making it go out faster? or am i missing something?

Dmitry 02-19-2006 03:57 PM

I think Mad_Machine is right. There should be a reason, why they put it there.

DTN 02-03-2007 08:45 PM

I'm thinking of doing this mod. I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually performed this mod on a known good, well installed, stock clutch. The single report given of blowing apart the clutch disk was from an aftermarket clutch.

I'm about to install my 2nd clutch in 2 years. I need to slip alot lessd.

rollwitstyle 02-04-2007 03:11 PM

i have done this mod, but i also did a performance clutch and fly wheel recently. the mod defiantly works fing02.gif

tdonnell 02-04-2007 05:44 PM

I just did this today and all I can say is WOW.

You guys HAVE to do this, there are NO possible side effects. Once you get this valve and spring out you will see why, the spring is extremely small and soft, and the restrictor is minimal as well.

The only purpose these two components may have is to make shifting feel smoother for the average driver, but for spirited drivers like us, I assume everyone would enjoy a grippier clutch feel.

I can shift into second quicker without grinding now!!

Also, the clutch engages about 1-1.5" closer to the floor now, re-assuring me that there is no way the clutch is not fully dis-engaged.

Not only can I shift faster, but the clutch does grab harder when it is shifted quickly.

PLEASE do this, there can be no consequences unless you like a soft clutch engagement.

rollwitstyle 02-05-2007 10:01 AM

^^^^ definitely agree

tdonnell 02-06-2007 03:01 PM

And just to add to my previous post, I have spun completely through second gear on dry pavement on more than one occasion after this modification.

I have never been able to do that before.

The clutch grabs much harder when you want it to, but if you drive normally, there is no difference other than the pedal being closer to the floor.

Spiffywerks 02-06-2007 03:17 PM

I talked to AJ (Fixer) about this yesterday. He said: "I was the one who told everyone about that modification to begin with. I got the information from a head Hyundai Tech who explained that the restrictor was only to increase the life of the clutch. Other than that, there is no problem with removing it."

So I performed the mod myself last night. Yeah, talk about the clutch being able to move super fast now. Definately recommend doing this mod if you want a faster engaging clutch. Very easy to do. Took me about 20 minutes --- only cause I goofed up and had to pull everything apart again cause I dropped a washer/seal before I put it back together.

Note: You do end up draining out the all the fuild, so you'll need to refill. I used a plastic zip lock bag to catch all the fuild that came out and flushed/refilled it. Takes very little time, very easy to do.