Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Crank Scrapers

Old 12-31-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crankscrapers <--- click me!

I will go into the benefits of these later.. just click and take a look. This could be the perfect modification for the highspeed high HP beta engine.. especially at just over $100 usd
Old 12-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wow, I can't belive they actually make them for us.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 PM

Yes they do.. and I said I would go into why these are a good idea.

Everyone knows that the oilpan carries the oil and that the crank spins anywhere from a 1000rpms to 6750 rpms inches above it. Between the spinning crank and the pumping action of the pistons, this can lift up to a quart of oil into a suspended "cloud" in the crankcase. This cloud weighs down the crank, rods, and pistons, and is harder to move than just air. It also is oil that is not busy lubricating or cooling the engine. In essense, it is parasitic drag.

It also leads to blowby.

A crank scraper is a device that just clears the crank and rods as it spins, literally "Scraping" the oil from it without hurting the metal. This keeps the oil in the pan where it belongs and can do it's job of lubricating and cooling. It also has the added benefit of allowing for more aggressive acceleration and handling without worrying about oil climbing the block.

It is said that the new teflon edged scrapers (like this company sells) can add up to 3% in hp alone due to the reduction in parasitic drag... that may not sound like a lot, but in racing every little bit helps and these are a rather cheap modification.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hmmm my dad added one of those to our monte carlo...never understood why until now

he kept mentionin that it helps with lubrication and i couldnt see why lol
Old 12-31-2005, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

I added one to my Camaro a few years ago. It wasn't like "Oh my God this is awesome!!" but it was definitely nice to have for peace of mind. I'll probably get one for the Tib too now that I know they are available. Good find, thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Personally I dont believe in using these. The added horsepower is VERY minute. Not worth the trouble.
Also, the crank helps throw oil up to the bottom of the pistons and cylinder walls cooling, and lubricating them. I don't see how it prevents blowby when it keeps oil from reaching the cylinder walls. If there is no oil there, then the rings will deteriorate with unoiled friction. The gap between the pistons and the walls will get bigger and blowby will occur.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:06 PM

From everything I have read.. and their website backs it... the scraper actually helps to cool your engine. If you go through their site for more details.. and this is how cooling works. Just having oil on the moving parts does not cool them, the oil will just soak up the heat and stay just as hot as the part it is on. The Scraper, by constantly removing the hot oil from the crank, pulls the heat from the moving parts.

You can check their chart.. the SRT4 lost several degrees with the scraper in place.

And yes, you can say that it is not worth the minute amount of HP.. but at 3%, that is 6hp at 200hp. Also by removing the weight of the oil from the reciprocating parts, you lighten them and allow the engine to spin more freely.

Trust me, I do a lot of research before I endorse something. I have never heard of a scraper leading to the premature failure of an engine unless installed wrong and it fouled the moving parts. You also have to consider that a lot of engines that are a lot more advanced and put out more power than ours already come with some form of scraper.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:26 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^Those engines may have a special nozzle to spray oil on the pistons
Old 01-01-2006, 08:26 AM

even without a piston sprayer, there is still a lot of oil being sprayed around the crankcase, just not a huge dense cloud of it.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Random was recommending these some time ago if I remember correctly. I can't find the thread for it, I'll PM him.