Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Coolant Flush

Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well I wasn't sure were to put this but I decided to put something up.

I was having issues with over heating with ac on if I wasn't going at least 45 and I thought it was entirely the turbo's fault since I'm only running one fan (drivers side). But then I started overheating just sitting idling, at first I thought water pump. When I went in to get one it had to be ordered so I decided to do a flush and see what happened.

Drove around all day today in 80 degree weather with the ac on and never overheated any.

btw, I used the prestone regular flush and new prestone 50/50 coolant. the coolant came out nearly brown! I've only dumped the coolant once before at about 40k and had never done a flush. car has 80k on it.

edit: here's what I used http://www.prestone.com/products/coo...Treatments.php
prestone super flush, like 3 bucks at autozone.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I flush, backflush, and flush the system again on ANY car every time I do the coolant.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM

If the flush doesn't work, it's your thermostat that needs replacing....
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM

what do you mean backflush??? isn't that when you flush and all the poop comes backup out of the toilet?? lmao.gif
Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 AM

Gonna do this today or tomorrow, mine's looking a little dirty.
Redz, how do you backflush? The instructions online at the prestone site (the one Supercow gave) are pretty thorough and does a lot of cleaning, but I was wondering what you meant by backflush?

Also, this is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and it's just a quickie. I also need to replace my radiator hoses (mine are basically dry rotting out and cracking), and I was wondering where the cheapest place is to get some good ones, preferably colored. I've searched the site thoroughly, and most of them are way out of my budget. Autozone's probably going to offer me about $10 per hose (3 of them) so I probably can't spend more than about $50 (budget's tight - Dad's paying smile.gif ) Is there any place to get good colored ones for around that? I really can't spend $130 for the samco hoses... 02.gif
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
SE
Old 07-13-2006, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Auto Part stores are your best bet for replacement hoses for cheap. No real "sets" made for under $100 that i know of for the RD's.

and WOW, this is the first time I've seen a cooling problem go completely AWAY with only a coolant fluid replacement (I don't liek calling it "flush" since you are not really FLUSHING it, just draining and refilling, LOL).

That must have been some BAD coolant. Usually one needs to replace a radiator, thermostat, fans or hoses at least to completely rid the problem. Good job! fing02.gif
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM

well it's not COMPLETELY gone unfortunently. But it did help tons. it was overheating just idleing without ac, but now it only overheats with the ac on and in the current super humid 90 degree weather. But all I need to do to fix it is add that other fan back in...
Old 07-13-2006, 01:08 PM

That's the same stuff I used when I flushed my radiator. I noticed zero difference, but my old coolant came out looking like new.

I didn't backflush either. I flushed with the prestone product and distilled water, and then did a second flush with just distilled water. The tapwater where I lived is loaded with minerals.