Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch problem

Old 11-24-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Horsepower vs Torque

I was learning how to do some break stand burn outs in my car. Never really done them before. I learned that 2nd gear doesnt have enough torque to spin the tires. SO, after running about 5-7 seconds at 5000rpm with my tires at a stand still.... lets say my clutch isnt happy with me.

I drove it home, and let it cool off, about 2 hours later, i looked at it, still smelt burnt clutch. Now 2 days after that, the clutch doesnt seem to be that bad, it doesnt slip or anything. But when i get out of my car i still smell burnt clutch. It isnt really bad or anything, but i dont think the smell should be there. Any ideas on what is causing it to smell still?

Also, i know there are two different clutches at k-spec, what are the advantages/disadvantages of both, and are there any other clutchs avalible for us...
Old 11-24-2004, 03:09 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon
Default Re: Raised the Boost (Vid inside)

how many miles on ur car..and wut year is it..
and do u have any mods..

I dont think it's your clutch thats leaving that smell...but if u could describe the smell id tell ya a lil better
Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: My new box :) *with pics*

i have a AEM intake, and a short shifter

2000, 48,000 KM on it

It smells like burnt clutch man, i dno how to describe it other than that...
Old 11-24-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: OZ-BBTB

My clutch died around 48,000 miles..Yours is probably getting ready to die if you burnt it that bad. Don't abuse it anymore if you can help it. It sucks driving back with only one gear.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Raised the Boost (Vid inside)

yeah, i dont try to abuse it, i mean 99% of the time i drive nicly. I need a new one this spring anyway, so i guess it is okay if it goes, aslong as it hols out for another 4 months
Old 11-24-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Clutch problem

Damn I have 70k miles on my clutch (OEM) and even though I have raced it on quite a few different occasions it still does not slip or even feel loose. I will probably replace it soon though just so that I dont completly tear the thing up.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Weirdest electricity-related thing i've noticed

My clutch has 102,000 miles on it. Even when new, it would slip when too much torque was pushed through it at too low a speed in too high a gear (IE.. trying to do a "brake stand" in second gear)

The worst thing you can do, besides frying the clutch, you can warp the flywheel. How does the engagement feel? If it shudders a tiny bit as you SLOWLY put it in gear, you might need to either refinish or replace your flywheel.

Personally, I am getting ready to do mine soon. After the first of the year I will be ordering a better clutch (have not decided what yet) and a lightened flywheel
Old 11-25-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Have You Met Tucker Max? *work warning, probably*

Had around 50,000 on my stock one and one night blew it apart at the track shifting into 4th at 6000rpm . bam out of nowhere was the end of it. No warning signs at all of slippage. Just take it easy on the clutch no burnouts and no insane 6000rpm 1st to 2nd shifts. Im tryin to break 100,000 miles on my car now without having to put another one in it. I got 76,000 on the car as of now so lets hope she makes it.