Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Broke - Back In The Shop Again..

Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any of you remember, last year, I got a Clutchnet Stage 3 Clutch - 6 Pad with "EZ Lock Pro". Price was right at $300.00.

And I'm N/A. Haven't done any extreme mods, but I wanted a Stage 3 anyways. I believe Viper is using this same clutch with no problems though. And Jaws021 has a Clutchnet Stage 4, he isn't having any problems. Guess it's just me.

First, it started slipping. Drop the clutch at 3,000rpm and it would just wind up to about 6k before it would catch.

I called Clutchnet, told them I only have about 18,000 miles on the car since I replaced the clutch, and they said that didn't seem right. They said I have an organic face clutch, so it's not really made for everday driving, more for racing, so it wears a little faster, but they said it still didn't sound right.

I ordered a new Full Face Kevlar Stage 3 from them last week. Supposed to be ready Tuesday. It wasn't ready today (Thursday). Someone messed up my order and it never got built. *grrrr*

Today.... I'm pulling out from my driveway and I hear a dreadful sound. *Klang!!! Bam!!* and then metal on metal grinding, coming from the tranny........... shit.

Fortunately, it was still driveable. So I got it to the dealership, and AJ took the tranny off. (I'm so glad I live 3 miles from the dealership.)

One of the Spring Arms broke off. The Throw out bearing is bent to hell. But other than that, it's ok. lol.

There are scrapes and scratches inside, but I was lucky. The spring arm that broke off wedged itself into one of the vent holes at the bottom of the tranny case. It went down far enough to not mess with the spining clutch assembly. But it did make some nice little groves and scratches inside the case before it found it's way to the hole. The grinding noise was coming from the bent to hell throwout bearing. I think it broke when the spring broke.

I'm taking the clutch back to clutchnet and making sure I get a new one for free. Cause... I got lucky. That could had caused some serious damage.

I don't mind going with clutchnet again. Viper and Jaws aren't having problems, so I'm sure I just got a bad apple. It happens to every company. But eesh.... imagine if something worse happened? >_< I need a digital camera so I can take pictures of this crap. My roommate is out of town so I can't use her camera.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 PM

i cant imagine why u kept driving on the thing...

and no problems here with the clutch
Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I'm using it also.

I bet the TOB fell apart first and threw everything off balance. It's the biggest POS part I've ever seen and unfortunately, we need to use it.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 AM

jon are you talking about the cluchnet TOB or just the hyundai TOB period?

I noticed the clutchnet bearing is thinner then the OEM one.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 AM

Actually, I was using the Hyundai OEM TOB, by way of suggestion. Cause I think many of you guys are using the stock one right? I just remember reading that it was good enough and almost no different than aftermarket ones.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM

im using a stock one as well that was just the way it had worked out
Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 PM

I got the new Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate. It's a Valeo stock pressure plate, since I needed it today.

Apparently, Clutchnet, ACT, Clutchmasters, etc, all use the Valeo pressure plate and just heat treat it for their needs. He said it's the only one everyone has available to them to use.

So now I have a 6 puck Fiber Carbon clutch disc vs the organic disc I had before. But I'm using a stock pressure plate. They said it should work fine because I'm N/A anyways.

He said he knows the Valeo pressure plate sucks, but it's all they have available to them for the Tiburon. And although he has never seen one break, he's not suprised that it did break.

So I paid cost for a new disc, and he gave me the pressure plate and throw out bearing. So even though it cost me a little, I'm happy as I can be considering my car is broken.

I'm not doing anything extreme yet, so I think I'll be fine with the stock pressure plate.