Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch From 97 1.8l To 98 Fx 2.0l? Need Help Asap!

Old 03-15-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hey everyone,

So I just got my new tib, and the clutch is totally gone. If I stomp on it in 5th, it would probably hit redline in about 2 seconds if I let it.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could take the clutchmasters stage 1 clutch out of my 97 1.8L tiburon and put it in my new 98 FX 2.0L tiburon. I know on the clutchmasters site there is different listings for the displacements, but the part numbers are the same so I figured I could swap them out.

Any tips you could guys could give me for changing the clutch and getting the trans out?

The engine machine shop I used to work at has a flywheel resurfacer so I could probably do it for free.

I need to get this tib drivable asap so any help is greatly appreciated, do you think it is possible to yank a clutch and re-install it in a day?

Thanks everyone. smile.gif
Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

if part numbers are the same - they use the same clutches on the 1.8 and 2.0
Old 03-16-2006, 05:21 AM

I hope so. Anyone else think so too? I am going to call clutchmasters today just to make sure.

Thanks dmitry. smile.gif
Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

If the part number is the same, it has to be the same part but you might want to check the OEM part numbers to be sure.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 AM

Yes, it will fit
Old 03-20-2006, 12:24 PM

It will 100% work, make sure when you pull the throwout bearing out of the pressure plate that you do it right, theres a little spring inside the bearing you have to pry the ends apart... It was a pain the ass, I had everything put back together and realized that a redneck that was helping us forgot a pressure plate bolt... meansing trans comes off again... Make sure your resurface the flywheel and you will be good, that is if the clutch is good to begin with..- Scott

P.S. I ended up doing the clutch twice in one day... It was 13 hours nonstop, but I also was having problems with rusted bolts, breaking the strut-knuckle bolts, and front crossmember bolts... 95,000 mi's on the stock clutch, that shits bound to be rusty on an illinois car.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

If you can get some help it would be come in handy for disambelling both cars at the same time and speeding things up. Then take one clutch out, put it in another, and you both can put them back together to save time. The more help the merrier, but if you're gonna be doing this yourself expect a long day and no lunch, but it can be done.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 AM

Yeah, I called clutchmasters and they said it will work. Prolly going to get some friends to help me out. I did swap the slave cylinder from my last tib and now the clutch is fine, but I might as well swap in the stage 1 anyway. Thanks for the replies guys. cool.gif