Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Auto Tranny Hesitates, High Rpm On Shift Sometimes

Old 03-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 tiburon fx with about 110k miles on it. Lately it has sporadically not been shifting like usual. Basically what happens is when it is supposed to shift up it will rev high, but if I let off the gas and try again it goes fine. This doesn't happen all the time either, usually it shifts just fine. I first noticed it when I came of the highway and started to accelerate again turning off the exit ramp. Is the tranny on its way out or could it be something as simple as a solenoid, valve or even something electrical? New tranny fluid/filter was replaced about 15000 or so miles ago and the fluid doesn't look dark or smell burnt either.

I'm scheduled to take it into the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out and see what they say, but would like have an idea of what to expect. The dealership is College Park Hyundai in College Park, MD. Anyone have experience with them? Good, bad, etc?

Thanks for any input.

Edit:
the problem sounds similar to the one majiktib had in this post http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=14400
Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

What kind of fluid did you use?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 AM

I didn't do it myself. I took it to an A+ Transmission shop for the change when I was in Houston. I told them that it had to be the right kind of fluid that was in the manual/hmaservice(SP-II or SP-III). They said ok and claimed they used the right kind when I asked again after the fact.

I thought of the fluid first when I had the problem, but I've driven the car between Houston and Charlotte, NC, Charlotte and DC/MD a few times since though and haven't noticed the problem until recently. If they lied and used the wrong fluid wouldn't there have been an issue/problem before now considering I drove it on those trips?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Mine used to do the same thing. I also thought it was something small but once I brought it in to the dealership I ended up needing a whole new tranny. Luckily, I still had my warranty.

Funny thing is, is that I got my tranny fluid changed a couple months before my tranny actually went. However, I dont think that did anything to the tranny because it was acting up from the beginning. You should check the tranny fluid too if you havent. If its dark brown/black and smells burnt then its definitely on its way.

Just so you know, if you go to a dealership and they want to do a diagnostic test, they will charge you like $90 if there were no codes. If you have a tranny shop anywhere, Id take it there first cause not only will they check it for free but theyll also do the diagnostic test for free. Thats where I went to first.

Good luck! smile.gif
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 AM

Just got a call from the dealer. Bad news. As expected was told that I need a new tranny. Quoted 2300 for parts and labor to drop in a remanufactured tranny with 12 month/12000 warranty. Not sure if it is worth it.

I love the car so I'm debating between attempting an auto to manual swap or just getting a newer tib like a 2003 or so. Anyone in DC/MD/Balto area have facilities to help out with the swap if I go with that? Also, how much would a swap cost?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Dude your car is barely worth 2300 dont do it. Go get a junked tib and and buy the tranny from it. I did a swap through the dealership in my newbie days, and got ripped for over 3600 bux. It died before the year was up. They told me I had no other option then to hand over another 3600 for another round of fun, I told em to Fvck off. Thats when I went 5 speed and did the work myself. If you dont want to get down and dirty to fix your car, you might want to think about your next move, or what car is out there that grabs your attention. Cause your tib is toast, and it'll cost as much as a new one to fix. Maybe sell and buy a 5 speed tib? Then you can just replace the parts of the tranny you need instead of a whole new one. smile.gif Good luck.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. It costs more than the value of the car. I'd try to do a swap but I don't have the facilities to do it myself, so I'd have to find someone around the area who does and would be willing to work on it with me. I'll probably just sell it off(any ideas what I could get for it considering the tranny?) and look for a newer tib or something. I'm looking at possibly a 2003. Do they have any problems to consider?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Do the swap. If you have a place to park the car, you have a place to do the swap. Put up a post in the wanted section that you need some assistance doing the swap. You can get everythig you need to do it for less than 700 bucks, often right around $500.

As for the 2003?

LOL

Plenty wrong with it.

1. The I4 is almost identical to ours, but the car is what, 600 pounds heavier for auto's and 300 pounds heavier for manuals?

2. The V6 only has about 20 to 30 more HP than the I4 we sport.

3. It's ugly.

4. They have crappy OEM clutches that like to wear out quick.

5. Very limited turbo or supercharger knowledge from most of the GK tuning folks.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Unfortunately all I have is a place to park it. My complex has a parking garage and we aren't allowed to do any real work on our cars here, so I'd have to find somewhere else to take it. I'm really tempted to go for the swap, but don't know if I have the time to wait for it to be done. I kind of need a vehicle back on the road pretty soon.

Thanks for the input on the 2003. I can understand those complaints with them, but right now my main concern is getting back on the road with a fun, sporty car that will be pretty reliable over the next 2-3 years. The weight/power ratios, and turbo capabilities, etc. is something I'm willing to live with temporarily. Because of my job I won't be able to do much work/tuning with it until next year anyway, at which time I could try to find another RD1 to play with again.