Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Click Here Need Help! Trans Swap

Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey whats up everybody. I drive a 1997 tiburon, So my automatic transmission gave out on me (I was expecting it) the trans is slipping and sometimes when shifted to D or R it gets stuck....this automatic trans was rebuild before even though the shop was suppose to replace the whole thing. The transmission also leaks fluid from the top am not sure where but when I popped my hood their was a small spill of fluid on top of the transmisssion. So now I am so F#%king tired of this auto crap that I decided to have this tib go under a 4-5 speed conversion. I am very aware of the type of money its going to take but am willing to get it done by the end of this month (August).

I have a couple of questions that I hope that some of you can asnwer.

Are the trans mounts going to have to be replace with the 5 speed mount?
Are my engine mounts going to be replace too?

So if ANYONE has done this swap before PLEASE reply to this thread ASAP.

I already have the following items Exedy clutch kit, clutch cylinder, flywheel, NOW besides those things please give a list of what am missing so I can make a shopping list. BTW my mechanic is going to charge $400 for labor but told me that if any welding that has to be done the labor will go up. For those of you who are Auto lovers please do not be afraid to post your honest opinions because if its TRULY possible to make a 1st gen auto tib fast I would like to know so I wouldnt have to go through this process.

[/attempted post clean up performed by majik]
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

if its TRULY possible to make a 1st gen auto tib fast

You are going to need more than a swap to 5 spd nana.gif
Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Manuel ? You want to swap your automatic transmission to a Hebrew name?

MANUAL

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...sion+swap\
Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Tony, I've told you almost every post you've made here that you need to break up your posts and make your stuff more readable, I'm not even going to bother trying to read through that HUGE paragraph above, and if I won't, 90% of the members here won't.

Just looking at the title, you either want info about swapping to another beta series tranny, or an auto to manual swap, both of which are VERY thoroughly covered in these forums.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=282

and 4 topics below stocker is doing the the swap also, you just need to look around

woot 100th post haha
Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph
Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

QUOTE (Tony Vendetta @ Aug 8 2008, 08:15 PM)
Are the trans mounts going to have to be replace with the 5 speed mount?
Are my engine mounts going to be replace too?

So if ANYONE has done this swap before PLEASE reply to this thread ASAP.

There are a few DIY write ups for the swap. I'm pretty certain you'll have to replace the transmission mount, but not the engine mounts.

What's your shopping list so far? I can't remember everything but let us review yours so we can try to think of anything else.

manual brake pedal, Clutch pedal, clutch cables, shifter cables, shifter, shifter surround, transmission mount, transmission, clutch fluid reservoir, flywheel, clutch, new master and slave cylinders, new axle seals (replace them when you pull the axles out), a little rewiring on the ECU (one wire I think) and a little rewiring for the plug that goes on top of the transmission (I think it's an oval plug that's replaced by a circular plug - needed for reverse lights to work).

Some have said they had to get manual axles for the swap. I'm fairly certain I didn't, but since it's a '97 I assume they're pretty old. Might as well put new axles in while you're at it. No extra work involved since you've gotta pull 'em anyways.

that's all I can think of at the moment
Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 PM

so far I got my clutch kit, flywheel, master cylinder, and gear shifter. went to the junk yard this weekend and didnt find a tiburon or elantra but found this 99 accent that I pulled the gear shifter out of. the damn clutch lines were difficult to get b/c i couldnt figure it how to remove em from the transmission it self.