Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Overheating For No Reason?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so mods first.

Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiator
Slim Black Fans

Huge list huh? Ok, so I just put the Rad back in the car, and drove it around with a mixture of about 80% distilled water/ 20% coolant. I've heard its ok in Cali to run straight water since nothing ever freezes here, at least where I'm at. Is that koscher?

So I had to drive out to Compton, which was about a 45-50 minute ride, then about 20 minutes after I got there, I had to turn around and drive home, at about 3:30 pm. For anyone who's been to LA, that's about as dumb a time to make a 50 mile trip as ever. So I got pretty far, then hit some mean traffic, and had slow to stopped driving for about 20-25 minutes. Then the second I hit some quick moving traffic, I took off, and looked down (as I constantly do) at the guages, and saw a spike in temp that JUST started. So I backed off the throttle a bit, and it pretty much started dropping instantly. I kept on to the next exit without pulling over, and still no other spike.

At the gas station I pulled into, I just put a short wire straight from the battery to the middle connector under the fan relay to bring it on while the car was off for about 20 minutes, and I watered down the radiator at their Air/Water station. I drove home and nothing was wrong the whole time. But as soon as I got there I popped the hood, and let the engine sit and cool off for few hours, and no less than 3 hours later I came out and no sun was on the car at all, yet the Rad was still pretty hot. I was hoping it wasn't low on water, and sure enough it was full as could be. So I figured the only thing I hadn't changed EVER on this car, with 58,000 miles on the engine, was the thermostat.

You think that's the prob? I have a better radiator than stock, and better fans, and they're even setup with the stock connectors from the OEM fans, and they come on perfectly. But for some reason I always feel like this engine is gonna overheat?

ALSO, when the car is dead cold, after a night of not driving it, the thing heats up fully within like 45 seconds of driving it??? My other betas took at least 3 times as long. What am I missing???

EDIT: I got home and grabbed a brand new hyundai thermostat and gasket I had put away. Took 5 minutes to swap it out, and even though it was hours later, after sitting for a while, the water/coolant was still hotter than hell??? Its like I have a little water heater that stays on somewhere, lol, j/k. So I dont know if this fixed it or not, but any other ideas???
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

They call it coolant for a reason, I buy premixed so it's got the right water in it (distilled).

if you were really using 20% coolant, and it's in the summer there, you could easily start overheating when moving slow.

What I would do is the following.

1. Flush and backflush your coolant system, pay to have it done for you, it's usually decently priced and they'll get out a LOT more sediment and scale than you can on your own.

2. Check or have your thermostat checked to see if it's opening and closing as it should, if not, replace it.

3. Fill your coolant up correctly, using premixed coolant. Burp the system to get the air out, fill it again, and repeat.

Then take her for a few high speed runs to see if she's acting better.

Bet she will be.

Also, your fans, they are FAL 220's right? How do you have them connected? To the stock wiring, or some other way? Make sure they are running at the right speed.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

could be a clog somewhere if it's not that thermostat you're thinking of. it sounds like my waterpump problem years back, but i know you're far too experienced to let a waterpump slip up. i dunno... it just sounds all too familiar to it though.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Aug 4 2008, 01:27 PM)
They call it coolant for a reason, I buy premixed so it's got the right water in it (distilled).

It's not called that for what you're thinking. 100% water is the best as it has a higher heat capacity. The only reason why you use store bought "coolant" is because it has anti-corrosion chemicals, antifreeze for sub-0 temps, and lubricants for your water pump. Otherwise, it is worse in "cooling". I use 100% water because it doesn't freeze here.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Werd. I'm cool like Jon smile.gif Redzman you scared me with that coolant talk... noob. LOL
Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

FYI, the only benefit to pre-mixed coolant is for those who don't want to spend the 5 seconds mixing it, or if your car was prone to overheated, so you often added it while you were driving.

pre-mixed coolant costs the same and straight coolant. you get much more out of straight coolant and mixing it yourself for the same price.

i believe you said you changed your thermostat earlier chris (in the shoutbox), see if that fixes it. if not, post up the new symptoms if any.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Nah, I'd rather not buy distilled water seperately and have that much more shit in my garage. There are many benefits to premixed. Like getting the mix you want, instead of guestimating. Did I put in 20 % water or 30?

I ran straight water in my Excel, it didn't like it. I was told to not use coolant was retarded, and I've stood by it ever since.

My car isn't overheating.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

probably a water pump, maybe a thermostat.

Water plus some water wetter is the best for cooling but it's a good idea to still have a bit of coolant for keeping things clean. I use the premix though. I don't have to go to the grocery store to pick up distilled and when you factor in buying distilled buying regular over premix isn't that much cheaper. Were talking about saving a few bucks on a coolant refill. Plus then you have to worry about keeping distilled water on hand, keeping it in a place where it won't freeze, etc.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Stupid question, but are your fans blowing the right way? I only say this because you have non-stock fans and I had a similar problem when my fans were messed with. It turned out 1 of my fans was wired the wrong way.