Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cheuk, question on the "GT intake manifold"

Old 08-19-2002, 06:17 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheuk, question on the "GT intake manifold"

Not referring to the new "GT" series USDM Elantra either, instead I'm looking here: http://www.kuksauto.com/topend.html

A bit down the page, there is an intake manifold with four individual ram-style runners that attach to a seperate plenum. You know much about this setup? Any good gains to be seen?

I'm still fighting with what I want to do so far as my intake manifold... I was pretty sure I wanted the BETA2 intake manifold, but now I'm seeing all these aftermarket pieces and find myself wondering.

Need a manifold to support halfway-acceptable driving when not under uber-Boost, and shouldn't be a nightmare to tap for the direct port nitrous setup.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2002, 06:19 AM

no refunds!
tongue.gif tongue.gif
Old 08-19-2002, 06:21 AM
Red

LOL! Nah, wasn't interested in one I didn't realize it until the manifold was here, but this thing will be extremely hard to tap for a direct port kit. The underside of the runners has that huge thick seam that I'm not sure what to do with.

That, and the idle speed controller method on this manifold is un-useable with the Haltech sad.gif

No worries, I'll figure out something to do with it
Old 08-20-2002, 07:07 AM
BV1

That manifold looks like someone welded two tin cans together, drilled 4 holes in it, and mounted 4 bicycle horns into the holes.

Seriously though, even if it worked (3-5 WHP gain)I would never consider it, it looks soooo crappy.

Backyard korean home-based mods man... lol

-Steve
Old 08-20-2002, 07:09 AM

that thing looks huge compared to our beta I im's... i dunno man... i would prefer it
Old 08-20-2002, 07:34 AM
Red

I'm not sure if you're aware of the Magna intake manifolds for the 4G63 motors, but they look very similar in style to this setup.

Swapping the Magna manifold onto a turbo DSM results in a 40+ crank horsepower increase; nothing trivial about it.

Velocity stacks are a good thing, not necessarily for daily driveability, but definately when looking for a gob of power. What is unique here is that this is not a quad throttlebody setup, so this still has the chance of being streetable.

I am hoping that Cheuk may have more information regarding the build quality and any associated gains that may be seen. Of course just like the quad throttlebody setup, I am sure that a LOT of the effectiveness of such an intake manifold depends on what you've done with the cylinder head. BETA heads are quite crappy. frown
Old 08-21-2002, 11:24 AM

I have not seen this manifold in person. I don't know anyone who runs it. But the favorite manifold currently is the APEXi / CAREX and the knockoffs. I can't seem to find a picture / webpage to direct you to. I think it is around $500.

I know the owner of Kuks... he has a phD in automotive engineering but can't seem to get the theory to work in practice. He imports some great parts from the US but I'm not convinced that he can make any quality parts from scratch. He use to drag race but gave up after blowing up his engine at multiple races. He is one of the main reasons why no one here is squeezing nitrous at the drags. Also if you look at his website, he claims to be an ECU tuner... and he was one of the first to start manipulating stock ECU's in the tibbys. But, look at the "tuned" Z3 with the M engine on his website... makes 220 PS hp at the wheels or around 215 SAE hp... a little less than a stock M engine. He also claims to tune Haltech's, Motec's.... but as far as I know he has never tuned one on a real car.

Like all Korean tuners, much of their advertisments are fluffed up images. You can't trust anyone here unless the products have been tested and retested. I have seen so many nightmare setups / products its not funny anymore.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:40 AM
Red

About those Apex / Carex knockoffs -- similar design to this? A single shared plenum + TB with the four short and fat runners? I might be willing to spend $500 if they're gonna be worth it.

Also you mentioned this guy who owns Kuk's is the reason nobody runs nitrous in Korea. Was this simply a problem with his implementation, or is there something I should be aware of before spraying 150+ horsepower into my boosted setup?