Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Air intake = performance/fuel economey/horses?

Old 08-07-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake = performance/fuel economey/horses?

Please don't laugh.

I have a 1985 Hyundai Pony, and am looking at modifying the air intake to the carburator. I don't know much about ram-air or CAI systems, but am trying to educate myself.

The engine is a carburated 1.6L 4-Cyl. As per usual we have a round filter housing sitting on top of the carb with a 12" or so pipe sticking out the left hand side. This is the air intake, and the pipe narrows to a hole 2" high by 3" wide.

Would sticking a pipe onto this and then to the front of the car for a cheap "ram-air" system do anything performance wise? Will the increase in air intake require a carb mixture adjustment?

What are other options for increasing performance/mileage in a cute little carburated engine like this one? Hood scoop? tongue.gif

Any thoughts are apprecaited.

Pete smile.gif
Old 08-07-2002, 12:50 PM

talk 2 Da white nija... he owns several ponies
Old 08-10-2002, 02:19 PM

WEll, I went down to Pick-your-Part today, and went treasure hunting. I found a Pony air filter housing, as well as a 1986 Stellar air filter housing. The Pony utilizes a circular filter surrounding the carb intake.

My plan is to take a metal saw attachment on my drill and cut vertical lines approximately 1/8" thick and 1/4" apart all the way around the filter housing. This will allow for greater air intake into thecarb, and hopefully a little better performance from the <ahem> engine I have.

I am also going to cut off the tube that sticks out the side entirely. Having seen that K&N sells air cleaner housing replacements that are just filters with a bit of a frame, I thought this would be a reasonable thing to do. Cheap to, as it cost me about $20 for the housing, and attachments to the drill at Canadian Tire.

I am going to do the same to the Stellar housing, which uses a square filter with rounded corners. The bolt pattern is the same, so I will swap them back and forth to see which filter type works best for the car.

Pete smile.gif
Old 08-10-2002, 02:27 PM

My plan is to take a metal saw attachment on my drill and cut vertical lines approximately 1/8" thick and 1/4" apart all the way around the filter housing. This will allow for greater air intake into thecarb, and hopefully a little better performance from the engine I have.
You might as well just flip the cover upside down. It would look better and not ruin the casing. Just make sure it still seals against the filter so you don't get trash in the carb.

If you want to spend a few dollars, go buy one that is open all around the filter. You can buy them at any autoparts store fairly cheap and it will do wonders to dress your engine up.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:09 PM

well take a look at the chevy tib intakes. on ebay. they might fit.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you force air into carbs, you may have to have them adjusted. It all depends on what size needle jets you have now. I would concentrate on getting as much COLD air to that air filter as possible. The more you open up that air chamber to the engine compartment, the more HOT air that will be sucking in. The K&N X-Stream air filters are great if you have a hood scoop or hood opening to get cold air to the carbs, but lousy otherwise. They will flow MORE air, but slightly less colder air is going to get you more power that more HOT air. It will also allow your engine to run cooler. As every 100 degrees of intake temp air leads to 100 degree increase in Exhaust gas temp.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:35 PM

I did look at K&N X-Stream products, but at about $120 CDN, that is too rich for me right now.

The way I see it, the engine is already only getting air from the little tube sticking out the left hand side of the air cleaner anyway, so opening holes in the cleaner housing itself won't do much for a temperature increase. If anyhting, wouldn't it cool it down?

As for CAI's, it seems they are for EFI only, and carbs would have to be adjusted. That's also out of my ballpark.

I bought 2 new housings at Pick-Your-Part jsut so I could test out this idea, and still have my old housing to put back on if it doesn't work out. I was going to try the vertical slit approach because it will be easier to do with my drill and cutting bladde, but will also try cutting out large sections arounf the side, just leaving enough so that the housing still has some rigidity. I will make sure not to open any holes that would allow unfiltered air into hte carb.

I'll keep you updated on how it seems to be going.

Pete smile.gif
Old 08-21-2002, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

You;ll Sh!t yourself when you see what I did... for free too!