Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Check Engine Light Won't Go Away.. .. ..help!

Old 01-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Tib. A while back the check engine light came on & the code said it was the TPS. So, I changed that. The light stayed on, & the code still said the TPS (after I cleared it). So, I wasted money & changed it again. Still didn't work. My car is still hesitating, has no power, & the check engine light is still on with the same code. Also it idles around 2000 RPM's. My cousin, who is a Hyundai tech, is at a loss. I'm looking for any help I can get. Thanx.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Do you have an OBD II scaner or do you get it done at a shop? Which ever you do get the exact code or codes and post them here. From there we will be able to help you a bit better with your situation. TPS Sensors are very sensitive and if not installed properly they will break.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:46 PM

*DON'T QUOTE THE POST ABOVE YOURS, WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO, ADMIN*
I don't know the code of the top of my head. I took it to my cousin who used the shop's scanner. He's the one that replaced it. If you need the actual code, I could call him & he probably would know.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya, get the actual code. Chances are someone has dealed with it before or we can check webtech
Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Where did you get the new TPS?

What brand is it?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 AM

Ok. Sorry I haven't been here in a while. I found out it's either the wiring for the TPS or the computer. The person that was working on it has basically stopped coming up. Does anyone know how to get to the wiring so I can test it myself?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:59 AM

How about answering our questions above so we can help you?

1. What was the EXACT CODE YOU WERE GETTING?

2. What was the MFR name on the first TPS that was on there (Dae Sung or Kiefco)?

3. Where did you get your replacement TPS and what was the MFR of that one?

4. Go get it scanned again, at autozone or wherever, and get us the CEL Code. We can help you from there.

I highly doubt it's your ECU, or the wiring if you haven't messed with it. There is a TB out there on our TPS and Hyundai replaces them for free, it shouldn't have cost you anything at all. The Dae Sung model is crap and they replace it with a Kiefco, I just replaced one on my other car yesterday.

Also...

5. What do you have done to your car? Especially in the wiring department.

6. What is the last modification you've done to your car?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 AM

My cousin never gave me the code for this. And there is no where around here anymore that checks for free (trust me, I checked). I don't know what the original TPS was because I replaced it when I first got the car. But I know the last 2 have been Keifco. I get them straight from the dealer. All I know for the code is that it's still coming up bad TPS, but when my cousin puts it on the scan tool he has from the dealer, it says the TPS isn't getting any power. So he said it's either a bad ground, the other wire he said it could be comes straight from the ECU to the TPS. Or if it's not either of them it would be the ECU. I honestly haven't done anything yet to my car. It's had problems since I bought it. I know the old owner had put an aftermarket alarm in it, that he took out before he sold the car. I'm waiting to get all the problems fixed before I put anything into it. Also, I don't know if this is normal, but I replace headlights about once every 1-2 months. I don't know if that would be a wiring problem or what. I'll try to call my cousin again today to see if he can come back up & get me the code, but I'm not guaranteeing anything because I haven't heard from him in a while. I think he's getting sick of my car. LOL.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 AM

QUOTE (MediaevalLore @ Jan 30 2006, 09:09 AM)
My cousin never gave me the code for this. And there is no where around here anymore that checks for free (trust me, I checked).

I'm not calling you a liar, but that's not true. Almost every chain auto store in the US does it for free. You don't have an autozone by you anywhere? What town do you live in there in PA? If you aren't willing to drive to the nearest one, go to walmart, buy a cheap one, use it to get the codes, then return it. Also, if you want help we have several members in PA and they would most likely be willing to help if you ask for it.

But I know the last 2 have been Keifco. I get them straight from the dealer.

Ehh, you shouldn't have paid for them at all. You also shouldn't have replaced it more than once if you got the same code with the same sensor. Hell, sell your old sensors on here, they are probably fine.

All I know for the code is that it's still coming up bad TPS, but when my cousin puts it on the scan tool he has from the dealer, it says the TPS isn't getting any power.

Have you followed the wiring harness back to see if maybe something cut them or ate them open? Have you checked your grounds in the engine bay?

So he said it's either a bad ground, the other wire he said it could be comes straight from the ECU to the TPS.

Get into your engine bay and inspect the TPS harness very carefully. Look at where the wires go into the harness socket and verify that the wires are secure and not damaged. Also, look inside the socket and verify that there is nothing stuck in there and that the TPS and socket are fully mating and getting good contact. You can ALSO get a multimeter and turn the engine power on (Don't start it), and get some measurements on the wires for voltage and grounding. That should have been the FIRST thing your cousin should have done.

It's had problems since I bought it. I know the old owner had put an aftermarket alarm in it, that he took out before he sold the car.

That COULD be part of it if he had it hooked up for engine cutoff and such. Has anyone checked the wiring going to the ECU to see if he jacked it up?

Also, I don't know if this is normal, but I replace headlights about once every 1-2 months.

Bulbs are a common problem. Try letting your engine run for about 30 seconds to a minute before you turn your lights on. They'll last much longer. It's a voltage issue after starting.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My TPS was replaced under warranty. You should have gone to a dealership... this may have been one of those rare times it would have actually saved you moeny