Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Check Engine Light

Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, I am bumping this back up again.

I got in my car today(oddly enough, heading to Save-A-Lot), and it started up running like ASS again w/ the CEL flashing like before. I turned car off/started it a couple times, and it started running normal again, with the CEL staying on, but not flashing. EXACTLY like before.

So I head straight to AutoZone to get the code read, and this time they gave me the following 3 codes:

P0708
Definition: Transaxle range switch - short circuit
Probable cause: 1. Open or short circuit condition
2. Poor electrical connection
3. Failed transaxle range switch

P0747(This one I'm not sure if it's correct, it listed the vechicles on the printout they gave me as General Motors, Acura, Honda, Mazda and VW.) Hyundai wasn't on the list, they said I should call dealer to see what the code was for, but here is the definition and such for General_motors.

Definition: Pressure control solenoid circuit low
Explanation: Voltage on circuit 1530 is more than 2-2.5 volts when the pressure control solenoid is switched on
Probable cause: Open or short circuit condition.

P0303(This one is same one that I had before, it also listed this code for a long list of vehicles from Kia, BMW, Lexus to one listed as "Domestic", I'll provide the info for Domestic. They also said I should call dealer for this one.
Definition: Cylinder misfire detected-cylinder number 3
Explanation: The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.
Probable cause: 1.Ignition system fault-spark plug(s), ignition wires, coil
2. Vacuum fault
3. Injector fault
4. high or low fuel pressure

I never did get around to doing as much as I should of with this problem, and now that there are two more codes along with it, it kind of worries me. Pretty much the only thing I did was a visual check, which included pulling the plugs to check them, and overlooking the wires to see if they looked fine, and they did. I know it isn't the wires, it done this before AND after I put the PRD wires on.

QUOTE (Supercow @ Sep 8 2009, 11:47 AM)
take a look at the wire connectors on cylinder #3. especially on the coil pack. Get some electric connector cleaner from autozone and clean it out. I used a battery terminal brush as well. While you at it hit the other 3.

What exactly do I clean? I would love to go all gung ho on this stuff, but I don't know what I should or should not being cleaning(I also would like to clean the MAF, because I thought I seen cleaning it would possible help with MPG, but didn't know what exactly to clean). Never took coil pack off before, never tested voltage running through wires and stuff like that........So do these other two codes coincide with the engine misfire? I searched but didn't come up with anything on those two codes.

As usual, any help appreciated....Thanks guys, I also think I am no longer going back to Save-A-Lot.

EDIT: The CEL is no longer on, never even lifted the hood.(well I did, but didn't touch anything).
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Three normal driving cycles will automatically reset a CEL.

There is special stuff to clean a MAFS but you can use isopropyl alcohol on a qtip and GENTLE wiping.

If there is corrosion on the spark plug wire connectors you'll see it. It won't be shiny, and it might be green, where it should be shiny brass. When installing spark plug wires ALWAYS use dielectric "tune up" grease to prevent terminal corrosion on both ends of the wire.

There is a thread on here somewhere with all the codes listed, with the Hyundai-specific definitions. Run a search for it.