Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Check Engine Light

Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

So I am hopping in the car to run to the Save-A-Lot, and I start it, it don't want to run. It is missing really bad, and sputtering, just running like total ASS. I drive about 40-50 feet and it damn near dies, bucking really bad (it's an auto by the way). The check engine light is flashing off and on at this point, don't know if it did when it started doing it though, although it probably doesn't matter.

So I say piss on it, back back up, park it, and take my wife's Sunfire to the store. I come back from shopping and go to do some searching on good ol' RDT. I found a couple of threads mentioning the P0303 code. With some different variations to each person's story. Now currently, I have drove it twice, it doesn't really seem to have a lack of power, the CEL is still on of course now, but not flashing. I can't tell if it is missing, doesn't sound like it to me.

I seen in the threads where it could possibly be coil pack, spark plug, hole in the spark plug wire( or bad plugs and wires in general. I am sure I am leaving some out.

The things that have currently been replaced, probabably around April or so is: PRD wires and NGK plugs(V-power), and replaced the Dae Sung TPS with a Kefico. It blows my mind that it ran like poop for 45 seconds, threw the code, and now "seems" to be running fine. I also seen where if it is misfiring, and you continue driving it, might need a new cat too.

I was going to revive one of the older threads, but decided to start my own, since it came about a little differently then the other ones. Also......

HAPPY LABOR DAY!!! beavis.gif

Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Things that have been replace is nice, but how about a list of things you checked after having the problem? All the high voltage ignition stuff is easy to get at and doesn't take long to check. A visual check should show up a dramatic failure (they don't go bad all the way without showing it).
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

flashing CEL means you have a misfire so maybe you have a bad connection due to heat cycling? i know when my plug wire went, car ran like crap, cel turned into a rave strobe light and just was a horrible experience. IT was noticeable because the plug wire was black and there was a nice grey spot on the wire where it where it had arc'ed and went bad.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

take a look at the wire connectors on cylinder #3. especially on the coil pack. Get some electric connector cleaner from autozone and clean it out. I used a battery terminal brush as well. While you at it hit the other 3.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Thanks guys, I am going to check some things on it later tomorrow. I did hop in it to drive it to town again, and the CEL is gone. And I still have no issues. I am not going to ignore the problem though, and pay dearly for it later. I am going to invest in one those voltage meters to check some things, and have one on hand for later. I am going to take the cover off and see if the plug wires have any issues. Among checking some other things mentioned.

And which one is cylinder 3? I would go with the assumption that it is the 3rd one from the left as your facing the front of car, right? Stupid question I suppose. I just know some cars are different as to which cylinder is which..
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Follow the sparkwire that runs from the three on the coilpack. I'm reviving this because after replacing my dad sung gps with a kefico. My car misfired so badly last night, and the loss of power was so prominent that I could not drive up my girlfriends driveway last night and have been stuck at her house ever since. I had the flashing CEL and was wondering how you resolved your problem
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Damn, I had forgot about starting this thread. The problem hasn't been resolved, I actually haven't checked it out, yet. I have mainly been driving my wifes car.

Hopefully in the next few days I will check it out, and post up my findings.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM

I took a lookst my wires and there was nothing noticeably wrong. I noticed there was some electric tape wrapped around part of the third wire and when I looked under that there were burn marks? And also onthe plug for cylinder three it looks like it had been burned in spots. I ordered some prd wires tonight and am awaiting theirarrival
Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Change the plugs too while you're at it (NGK BKR5E-11)
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Well, I finally took a look at it. Pulled the plug, looks good. Inspected the wire, looks good. Looked at everything connected to the coilpack looks fine to me.

Maybe it was just a brain fart? Anything else to check?