Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

cheap exhaust trick?

Old 06-28-2001, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap exhaust trick?

I have a stock exhaust(for the mean time)and i heard about a way to make it sound like a performance muffler by heating your car up,drive it around and then take a hose and put some water in your muffler,this will make the fiber glass melt more or less.Is this true,or not?
Old 06-29-2001, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Any little tricks like that may not even be worth it dude. Either it's not going to work as you had planned, or you're going to ruin something. If you want a nice sounding exhaust, your best bet is to buy a new muffler or cat back. The only small thing that I know of that you can do to an exhaust to give it more of a somewhat deeper sound is to remove the exhaust resonator, and install a straight through pipe. Good luck with it.....
Old 06-29-2001, 01:23 AM

shiddy,thats what i figured,or the water i put in there would rust it all to hell from the inside out.im gonna just buy a muffler.thanks 4 the tip.
Old 06-29-2001, 02:48 AM

That's a red-neck trick used here in North Texas but here is what they really do. Billy-bob goes and puts dual exhaust on his pick'em-up truck. He wants it really loud so he asks for mufflers called "glass-packs". These are no more than a resonator and insulated with, you geussed it, glass not fiberglass. Then Billy goes and heats up the glass-pack with a torch or something similiar and then squirts water into his exhaust. The glass will shater and then will not "muffle" any sound that comes through the pipe. When Barney Fife pulls him over and complains that his exhaust is not muffled Billy can point out the mufflers that he has and go on his way. These hay-seeds are only intrested in making the exhaust as loud as possible. It will not work with fiberglass packed mufflers and even if it did it would only make it louder. No performance gain. Granted many of us want just a better sound but it would be better if your trying to go cheap try any universal muffler at your local shop.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:14 AM

thanks hoss,i was just wonderin,i am eventually goin to buy a muffler,i just wanted to see if that was lagit,now if ya'll excuse me i have to find more hay 2 chew on,YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!.that one was a knee slapper,haha tongue.gif
Old 06-29-2001, 07:57 AM

Ok, while we are the subject of exhausts, I have a question. I am going to be ordering my cai in the next couple days and I wanted to get a tip that would make everything sound better. I don't want to spend the money on the whole exhaust system just yet because I want to do some other mods. Does anybody know which one of these would be better or know of another place to get a good one? I want to get a really good sound out of it. I would appreciate any info and opinions that you guys/girls might have!! Here is the link from pps, they have a bunch of 'em, any recomendations?URL=http://www.ppsonline.net/exhaust.htm]pps[/URL]
wink.gif smile.gif
Old 06-29-2001, 07:59 AM

don't know why that link didn't come through... sad.gif
PPS

There's the link wink.gif

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: RedShark ]
Old 07-02-2001, 04:13 AM

"These are no more than a resonator and insulated with, you geussed it, glass not fiberglass. "
fiberglass=glass
what is there big chunks of old coke bottles in there? glass-packs are filled w/ fiberglass which is basically very minute shards of glass, "fibers" of glass if you will. and i think your stock muffler doesnt have fiberglass in it.
Old 07-02-2001, 04:26 AM

rrrriiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttt....

"dr evil" rolleyes.gif