Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cant Get It Into Second

Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright heres the problem... Im pulling out from a stop and go to shift from first to second( with the clutch the whole way to the floor) and it will not go in for the life of me. But this only happens once an awhile. I have owned the car for probally about 3 months and its happend maybe 4 or 5 times. When it happens i have to shift into third. Its not that big of a deal but i just get assholes behind me that honk their horn at me for pulling out so slow. A couple people have told me its either my linkage or something. I dunno...first time owning a stick and i dont know how to fix em. Help me out!! Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:28 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

synchro is probably dead

if your under warranty get it checked out they probably will give you another trans
Old 05-08-2006, 07:26 PM

You think thats it even though it happens only once and a while?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

is the car under powertrain warranty still?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 AM

no i dont think so
Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 AM

What if you double clutch?

so but it in neutral, release clutch, clutch in and then shift into second.

Don't think it's syncho's otherwise you would have it most of the time in higher rev's.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Did you check the Gear Oil level in your car? remember to use GL-4, NOT GL-5 GEAR OIL .

Amsoil MTG GL-4 and Redline MT-90 are teh best gear oils.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

i suggest trying the double-clutch thing first of all (next time it happens)

i dunno, my tib's clutch is weird sometimes too.
if the clutch is in ALL the way sometimes it won't go into gears, just as your putting pressure on the shifter trying to get it to go in and it won't, slowly let your foot just like maybe 1/4" off the clutch (don't do it too much or u'll grind, if it's gonna go in u'll know; don't force it). never had it happen with 2nd but this happens in first ALL the time.

otherwise, could it be something with your shifter? do you have an STS or stock?

Does this happen when you're high in revs (say 3k or higher, then it may be synchros)? or just driving normally?

What owner are you to this car?
And how many miles on it?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:05 PM

No i have a stock shifter but i want to get a STS. anyways it happens when i drive normall. my clutch fluid was alittle low but i filled it and it still happened. Didnt check the gear oil yet. But i am the second owner and it had a little over 50 K. But the owner before me i doubt beat on it at all.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Just talking out of my arse here...

I do seem to recall having the occasional trouble getting it to shift into second.. Im not sure if I've just gotten used to it or if with some wear n tear, the problem went away. Generally, if the car is being stubborn shifting into any gear, I just let it roll for a couple seconds and eventually it will pop in with just slight pressure.

Now that I think of it, I do believe it has something to do with your shifting habits.. Back when I was first learning (I learned how to drive stick on this car), I did beat on it quite a bit and it would be stubborn going into 2nd at times. After my dad drove it for a bit, it always seemed to be just fine going into 2nd. I would say give yourself some time to get used to the clutch in the car before going and doing any major work to it. If it's being stubborn about shifting into 2nd, just apply a slight pressure on the shifter and let the car roll for a bit, and see if it pops in. It may also have something to do with the RPM you try to shift at. When I was learning, I shifted at very low RPM... I never shift out of 2nd below 4,000 now.

Most cars will be stubborn about downshifting into 1st unless you're at a complete stop (even if you are sometimes).. I've sort of unconsiously learned to downshift to 1st while the car is still rolling slowly, before coming to a complete stop.. What I do is disengage the clutch just before I stop and apply pressure to the stick to go into 1st.. It may not go in right away, but after rolling for a second it pops in w/ ease. If you have to shift into first while at a complete stop on flat ground, you may just have to give it a little extra force.

I've had problems with the car being stubborn about going into reverse too... Usually it will go part way in.. If you're new to the car, you'll think it went in and you'll hear a strange noise and notice the car isn't moving when you try to let the clutch out.. If that happens, just apply a constant light pressure to the stick while putting it in reverse, and let the clutch out slightly till it pops in.