Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Beefing Up Your Transmission

Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tibster

I've been giving this information to a few people on chat and I thought the rest of you would also appreciate this information. Through my continuous education with RDs, I've found a few gems that everyone should have available.

Many of us in the RD/Hyundai tuning community have begun to make some very impressive strides as far as horsepower output and many have expressed the need for stronger transmissions.

The manual transmission of the Beta engine is really quite strong and reliable, but there have been the few owners that have gone through multiple transmissions. I'm here to spell out the truths.

The gears in our transmissions are only GUARANTEED to hold stock horsepower figures. Now everyone knows that our trannys can hold MUCH more, but it's only a matter of time before the gears give. If you're lucky, your trans will last a few years, but as some as you know, you can shred a gear with no warning.

We have a few options available to us to stop shredding gears.
One, is to get what the Korean's call "turbo gears." Basically they're just forged gears that replace the oem ones. They are guaranteed to hold 2X oem HP output. In my case I'm putting out about 300whp so if I got these, I wouldn't have to worry about shredding any gears.
Next, we have the option of getting "dog teeth" gears which are guaranteed to about 600+whp.

Notice that I'm using the word guaranteed a lot. People have put 450whp down through a stock trans, but it didn't last too long. Basically, you're just insuring that your trans won't blow.

Finally, the third and perhaps most appealing option is swapping into a 6 speed manual transmission!! Yes, we have a way to do it. Mitsubishi's FTO (only available in Japan) has a 6 speed manual transmission that will bolt up to our block. Now, we don't live in a perfect world so this isn't a direct swap. You'll have to get new axles, clutch, pumps, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Changing the additional items out really bumps up the cost. The good thing is that this transmission is STRONG. Not exactly sure how much power it would hold, but it should be able to take a beating. Best thing is you won't have to rev your engine so high when you're cruising down the highway.

I don't have any exact pricing at this time, but the forged gears should run somewhere around $2500-$3500 and the 6 speed trans with everything would probably be around $4000-$5000. Shipping not included.

This might be a good topic to sticky as horsepower outputs become higher on RDTib.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Very good, thanks for the info. I knew about some of this from MnTec's website, how is their quality considered?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:32 AM

Ive been pondering this exact thing for some time now. Thanks for the info man. +1 to you.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:43 AM

when you say "pumps and other miscillanious" stuff... what exactly are we talking about for the FTO swap?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

dog gear here are about...1500 per set 1,2,3,4,5 and both shafts and FGR... there are some that do the dog gear thing here... the only people i know are the pro racing teams here in korea... as for the fto swap that is ithe first time i heard that.... our tranny can take some abuse but if you beat the shit out of it. all the time you shit will go boom.. the fto thing i myself am looking in to that because i want to go 300+kph.. the gk 6-spped was on my mind but to many thing to mod tranny and F/R roll stops, cables and not to metion the $350 shifting stick and assy.. i called evey junk yard in pusan 198 of them and could not find shit.. gk wise

custom cv joints.. if you get one set you might as well get one more because you wont be able to find them in the US so cv joints total is 4-ea

i wanted to do this but as with a custom unit if it goes bye-bye..

then what..

just playing devil's advcote here nothing more

Off topic:

chirs is Tae preaching the good word again, i still think he's only in it for the money drillsergeant.gif
Old 03-11-2006, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Considering I have an autotragic that I want to swap out in a year or two, I would need all of those things to do the six speed swap ANYWAY. This was actually one of my original thoughts.... Have one of the ONLY RD Tiburon 6 speeds out there. I am definately interested in this, but not for about two years..... POSSIBLY next year If I can find the funds.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster

RedZ -
LSDs aren't too big in Korea. Gary's got the MnTec, maybe he could shed some light

Mad-Machine -
maybe you could remove the word pumps. I'm not sure exactly what the whole procedure entails, but I didn't want to lead anyone on that it's a direct swap.

Shipping a trans from Korea is not going to be cheap unless we can get it on a container.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
I meant on their other products mang.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

MADJOHN: why not swap the 6-speed from the newer I-4's is korea? have you thought about that?

my uncle was supposed to get a hold of one for me when i had my tib, but i guess getting a hold of one is pretty hard...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:27 PM

that first gear in that 6 speed must totally suck..

Does anyone still have info on the galant tranny swap?