Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cam Belt Change

Old 10-03-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am overdue to change my timing belt.. so I am planning on getting it done before the end of october.. I have the shop manual for my car so I have an idea what I am getting into.. but what I want to know.. is WHAT am I getting into? How easy is it to get at everything on the front of the engine? Is there anything special I should look out for? How many hours am I looking at?

I can do a fiat timing belt in less than half an hour.. my Old Hyundai Excel took most of an afternoon.. that three piece crank pulley was a royal PITA! From what I have seen of the tib.. at least the nut at the pulley is a LOT more accessable.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:58 PM

If you can get the bolt off, it takes less than an hour. If you have "bolt' problems, then add that on.

One trick is to put a breaker bar on the bolt, and brace the breaker bar on the floor, then 'crank' the engine for just a quarter second. That breaks the bolt loose.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:21 PM

I have access to an air wrench at work... or at the least.. we have a good compressor and I can rent the wrench.