Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Building N/a Motor

Old 12-14-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

After alot of thought I have decided to go N/A.

1.Did some searching about this 1.8 tranny business and did not really come up with anything that entirely answers my question. Im going to assume 1.8 tranny refers to any 5spd manual elantras or tibs with the 1.8 motor in it? Assuming that, the 1.8 tranny gives quicker accl. due to shorter gear ratios but a reduced top speed.

2. Is it a direct bolt up to the 2.0 block?

3. Does the trans hold up as well as the 2.0 5spd?

4. When installing a clutch and fidanza flywheel, which car do I order for, and do I need any kind of adapters? If so where and how do I get them?

5. is there anything I should know about this swap that I havnt asked?

6. Anyone have anything against the rebuild kit that importshark.com is nowoffering? I was hoping to get a much higher compression yet I only see 10.3 avaible which I thought was stock? In terms of strickly internals minus valve train, Is there anything this kit is lacking, Should I opt with higher oil pump also even tho I am N/A?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

1. Yes shorter gears will give you a quicker accel.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. They are both the same. Just refer to your year car.

5. Nope it is straight forward.

6. I have no Idea
Old 12-14-2006, 10:41 PM

haha tim u rock =P thx bro
Old 12-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

1. yes it will give you a lil quicker acceleration with the shorter gearing, but the beta has short enough gearing IMO, and i wish i could get longer gearing, mainly for cruising. the beta revs about 4000rpm at 80mph in 5th gear, which sux for highway cruising. the 1.8L will get you quicker 1/4 mile times, but wont be fun on the freeway.

2. yes, it is a direct bolt up to the block.

3. im sure it does, its all same quality hyundai parts, just geared a bit differently for the smaller motor.

4. you will be able to use ALL 2.0L clutch and flywheel parts.. the only thing different on the 1.8L motor is the crank, so it has a different flywheel, but when you order just get a clutch, and flywheel for the 2.0L.

5. its a really straight forward swap, just DONT forget to pull the clutch lever on the top of the transmission up, and make sure itll wiggle freely before you even try to take the trans off or anything.. thats my biggest advice. and if you have problems with anything PM me, cuz this is all fresh in my mind.

6. for the rebuild kit, if your going to tear things apart i would get the 1.8L pistons for higher compression, wont cost ya much more. get the toga performance bearings, and the rebuild kit thing, i would just get all replacement gaskets from the one kit, and get the 1.8L pistons(which come with rings), and those toga performance bearings. you wont need a high volume oil pump. i have no problems with pumping oil and im boosted, and i havent heard of anyone having problems.. only replace it if you think you might need to.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM

O thx man