Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Blowoff valve question

Old 09-04-2001, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It goes back into the intake before the turbo, but after the MAF.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I went to buy one, untill I realized for what application. Which one is the right one for me. I would like one that makes the cool noise. Also is 180 a good price?
Another question off the subject, but while your here. I ordered the cold air from MHP. Will I be able to use it with the Turbo? How will it all fit together? Thanks again HondaEater
Old 09-05-2001, 07:26 AM

New idea. Tell me what you think. My local shop has a Gready blow off valve. It has a diagram to run a tube back into the pipe after the blow off valve. I'm told that is to recirculate the air. Thus doing the job, right? Either way I go the price will be about the same, except he already has the Gready valve. No waiting. The turbo is going in this friday...hopefully! Later, Eric..aka..HondaEater
Old 09-05-2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Curtas:
In a MAFS car, when you vent to the atmosphere, the car thinks it's getting a lot of flow, then you spray some into the engine bay, so it's dumping fuel for a lot of air, but the air isn't there, because you just vented it.

So why not put the MAFS in the pressurized turbo->to->IM feed, before the blow-off valve?

I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this that I just can't think of at the moment.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

ERIC, the MHP or KORE CAI will NOT work with a turbo. You can always sell it once you get your turbo...or canabalize the piping for the Turbo CAI.

The Blow off valve SHOULD recirculate. If it does not, you run the risk of running really rich when you back off the throttle. The "whoosh" ones are for use on MAP equipped cars, not MAF equipped cars. You could use it, but you might fowl your plugs/back fire a lot.

IAGO.

A MAF measures air density, and is a very delicate device. It would never withstand the heat, and pressure waves on the "boost" side of a turbo. So what you do is install the blow off valve to re-circulate the air to just after the MAF but before the turbine. The MAF registers the lower ammount of air going PAST it, because the blow off valve is feeding the turbine. This bit of "plumbing" makes the MAF register less air, because the BOV feeds all the engine needs for a short time (while the BOV is open). The downside to that process is that you are feeding warmer air than outside air to your turbo, but, since this only happens off throttle, it should be a moot point.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:36 PM

Yeah, I figured it was probably something like that. The solution was a little too obvious to be overlooked if it had been feasible. Just wanted to throw it out there to see what the reasoning was.

Thanks, Ran!
Old 09-05-2001, 03:15 PM

Hey Random, any sugestions for a CAI that will work with the turbo. What set up do you have? I have read the posts that are on the team SR forums. You have your custom CAI vs others, but no pictures. Thanks. HondaEater
Old 09-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

The alpine turbo setup uses the "stock" airbox minus resonator. I modified the tubing they used, and used some of my own to make it into a CAI.

I'll throw up some photos later, but to make a long story short, it goes over the drivers side fan motor, then down between that motor and the battery tray, to terminate in the fenderwell, just like a normal CAI.

One of the reasons I want to get a slimline fan is to do away with the "up and over" portion of the CAI, and have it just route directly from the turbo to the fenderwell.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 04-17-2002, 08:47 AM

Love the SEARCH Feature