Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

...kicked my butt!!!

Old 04-16-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...kicked my butt!!!

I'm ashamed of myself... I was going to throw the procedures of taking the intake resonator off of my 2k3 Tib, and was to the point where you take off a nut on the front and back of the resonator, but could not get these nuts off! The one on the front, I had to try to get to it from right behind the fog light which was impossible, and the one on the back was easy to get to but wouldn't budge....In the end, I ended up stripping both of these nuts and gave up, and put everything back on sad.gif . So...unless i was doing this wrong, I give up on this idea, and have decided to just wait on CAI to come out(anybody have any idea when it shark racing will have it?)...*depressed*

[ April 16, 2002, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: jarodm05 ]
Old 04-16-2002, 01:35 PM

did you go to the left?
remember:
tighty righty, lefty loosey
wink
Old 04-16-2002, 02:46 PM

Uhh dude... when you install the CAI your still going to have to remove your resonator... might as well take it out now since your having problems (faster install time for CAI then) may wana try a little WD-40 on the nuts let that soak in a bit.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:09 PM

easy solution... Take out your battery and battery tray.. That's what I did.. Came right out.. But I have an elantra.. don't know if it's different for the tibs..
Old 04-17-2002, 12:29 AM

nightraven's right, you wanna soak your nuts in wd40 and wait a hour or two. Then open your hood up and spray some wd40 on the bolts holding your resonator in. wink

Anyway, i had the same problem, just sprayed it and used one of those hand-held-vice grip thingies. I don't know the name but its the tool that you clamp down onto something and you have to press a lever to release it. that wored good
and don't put too mutch pressure on the bolts, kinda "bump" it a little, till it free's up.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:04 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

soak your nuts... hehehe tongue.gif
Old 04-17-2002, 03:55 AM

Can anyone say "Socket Set"
Its a PIA but doable. Just have to lie on your back and go to work.
(ok scratch dirty thought out of my mind)

www.parkingban.com
I have a walk through.
Good luck
Old 04-17-2002, 07:06 AM

Aight, I'll take the WD40 and other advice for getting the resonator off, but IF i was to get the auto shop to install CAI with the resonator still on(or off)...How much might they charge? (they WILL install it right?)I know I know, they'll probally charge an arm & a leg but...I just want to compare it to the costs of damage I'd probally cause sad.gif
Old 04-17-2002, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I'll smack you if you goto a shop to install an intake.

Soak the nuts in WD40, then loosen. If they are still resistant, get a 2-3' long pipe that fits over the handle of the socket wrench and use the pipe as the handle.

If thats not enough torque, either you are REALLY weak or those bolts are welded in.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:56 AM

hehe,
Well im going to plan B (should have been plan A)
I have a friend/cook at the Japanese restaurant here, if him and his friends cant get it done, no one can! Thanks for all the sugg's!