Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

A Bit Of A Problem

Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya all haven't been on here in awhile. The tib is still runnin. The last 70 miles or so my car has been making a ticking noise constantly, that varies with rpm. It doesnt matter whether the car is in gear, or in neutral, or whether or not the clutch is in or out. The ticking speeds up with engine RPM however. It is fairly loud. Today I changed my oil, and filled it back up with castrol full synthetic, and used half a pint of SeaFoam, which a friend suggested, because he said it sounded like a sticking lifter. It seems to have made that sound go away. There is another ticking sound however that has been there for the longest time, and is now made more annoying by the fact that the louder sound is gone. This sound isn't nearly as loud, and it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine(towards the driver) Any ideas? I have not changed the timing belt as of yet, the car has 84,500 miles.

Thanks in advance.
John
Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

most likely bad HLA.

And you might want to get that timing belt done before you blow it and end up with bent valves. If anybody tells you to just run it until it breaks ask them if they know what an interference engine design is.

its when the timing belt breaks, or your cams timing is off, the valves can crash into the pistons = teh suxors
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 AM

Hmm from what I remember from a long time ago HLA=hydraulic lash adjuster? Is there any test I can run to determine whether or not that is the problem?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well you can take off your valve cover and see if you can push the HLAs down, if you can, its bad

Here is a thead that has some HLA revival techniques you can try.

HLA linky
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

the quieter ticking noise you described coming from near the drivers side is called something on the order of a "purge control valve" if i remember right. It took me forever to figure out what it was on my car and it was that thing. It looks like a little plastic bubble almost and it is close to the firewall on the drivers side. You can feel it pulse with the ticks if you grab it.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 AM

it very well might be a exhaust leak. mainly from the head to manifold. ive seen that happen quite often when people complain of bad engine ticks.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Alright an update, I guess that I just had to drive it around for a bit and let that SeaFoam stuff get mixed around/heated up, w/e. All sounds except some belt whine are gone smile.gif Wewt. Thank you all for the help, much appreciated.