Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Best cheap OEM mod

Old 02-27-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ True dat. Which is why we all wish Shaddoh was still around to give us those dynos and see where it truely made a difference, if any.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:09 PM

i only found 1 in my area for $150..... thats too expensive! i wanna dyno this mod......
Old 02-27-2005, 04:22 PM

well boys and girls I have an update......

lastnight I reset the ecu and went for a good drive, let the car cool down and started it again. went for another drive and there was a noticable diffrence...felt like a lot more torquy as it pulled through the rpms 2500 to redline. BUT my fuel milage is like a freeeken V8...all in all I am impresed at what this does for the money......also I got no cel or anything I am running a 2 1/4 exaust system with a high flow cat and no resonator..(no emmitions test here in nova scotia wink1.gif ) and also a 4-2-1 header cai and xd intakecam ....the only issue im having is that my air fuel ratio guage is showing it takes longer for my upper heated o2 sensor to heat up and start reading. so a low exaust temp realy might be an issue for some people.

and as far as trying the xd elantra ecu...Im going to as soon as I get one I leave tomarow to go offshore for three weeks so the other ecu's im getting for people will be a little late but im going to get them. I feel now that this mod is definatly worth what people are saying.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:25 PM

How much do Hyundai dealers want for them? You never know, they might actually sell them for a decent price.

EDIT: Do you have a wideband or narrowband A/F?
Old 02-27-2005, 04:25 PM

I talked to SupaDupa about this a bit as well. his gas milage is just terrible now. did that happen to anyone else that did this? what are the consequences for running so rich?
Old 02-27-2005, 04:29 PM

If you run too rich, your probably going to carbon coat everything in your engine and clog things up. Running too rich can also cause o2 sensor failure.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:32 PM

my o2 sensor is narrow band, I know thats not realy good to guage anything from but its a start. someone that has a wide band should do this to check it out.....I also have a FPR that I havent installed yet so eventualy that will tone the fuel down a bit when I install it

and remember I have a bigger fuel pump to
Old 02-27-2005, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (hamhead)
If you run too rich, your probably going to carbon coat everything in your engine and clog things up. Running too rich can also cause o2 sensor failure.

also can kill cats real quick.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:40 PM

QUOTE (SuPaDuPa)
and remember I have a bigger fuel pump to

that could have something to do with it. I'm sure not everything, but that may be the difference between how rich you run compared to the people that have done this mod previously. who knows confused.gif
Old 02-27-2005, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry to say so to those who believes firmly in this mod, but this mod IS useless until someone dyno it.

The butt-dyno is simply 100% inaccurate. Even if you feel a difference (considering that 75% of the "difference" felt is obviously a mind trick), that alone is not enough to say that the mod is positive, even if it "feels" more torquey or anything. I could easily put you in a chevy sprint and make you feel like the car has 400hp while it has 100hp.

Regarding the ECU, it wouldn't cost more for hyundai to have a different firmware in the Elantra; in fact, that's probably the case, as it's what they did with the Accent ECU. They have (for some models) the same ECU as us, but a different firmware.

/Edit: thinking of it, it IS the case; the Elantra ECU has a speed-limiter at 180kph, while the tib's has none (for what I've seen); that confirms that they do not have the same firmware.

I guess that the fact that this mod's purpose is to have a power gain cheaply, it's just unlikely that someone will go and spend $50-100 to dyno it, which undoubtely sucks.