Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Best Bang For A Automatic?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys. The Tib has been sitting since the end of Nov 02.gif But... new job so new money laugh.gif
Within the next two-three months or so (need to catch up on some bills first) I'll be taking care of...
I have a '00 RD2 automatic smile.gif

1] Motor mounts
2] Either head gasket or water pump (90% certain head gasket, but the shop is going to narrow it down...)
3] Spark plugs & wires
4] New rotors + pads
5] Complete fluids flush

From there, by the end of the year I'd like to work on as much as possible. I am shooting for best
bang for my buck while keeping in mind that I have a automatic for the time being.... (hopefully 5spd swap by end of next year)
I was thinking of getting a set of headers, a straight pipe, a CAI/SRI, and maybe some other misc stuff (eg pullies, BBTB, etc)
But my questions are:

1) What sort of headers? 4-2 or 4-2-1? OBX, Maintec, Flyride, etc??
2) Should I go ahead and go with a 2.5" straight pipe or keep 2" or...?
3) What sort of other things should I go ahead and hit up to better my acceleration, mostly, on my automatic Tib?

I'll also either be getting a set of KYB Shocks/Structs + springs (not sure which yet, though) or Coilovers by Christmas.
The majority of work will either be done by my buddy's shop OR with the help of friends as a sort of "learning experience" for me.
I'm not the best with mechanical stuff, so if my friends work on it then I'll be hands-off and learning as we go...

In between all of this, I am also trying to pick up some O/T @work so I can fix the body up (some minor dings/etc), new paint,
new rims, tires, sound system, possibly get another L.E.D. set; not sure. I am hoping to start hitting up some car shows by this time next year.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

well if you wanna save money, do the head gasket yourself. Shit I did mine, 5 hours and $14...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM

No clue how and none of my friends want to mess with it LOL.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'd go with the flyryde/kfx headers that just came out and try to do most of the work yourself with friends there to help you. If you get stuck there's always rdtiburon.com to help you.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

save up and go with the 5speed swap earlier. it will breathe more life into your tib than you thought possible, ask anyone who has done it.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM

So basically the 5spd would be best before I really dump $$ into the engine?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

yes.. and do headgasket/pump at same time.