Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Basic Engine Swap?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I usually pull trans out with it. Always on the Tibs. But mostly because I do a clutch and stuff while its out. When I put the built motor in the RD2 Im leaving the trans in until I swap trans only for the beta 2 with LSD.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Stocker @ Jul 27 2008, 09:26 PM)
Hold on, don't you think you might at least check to see why only 1 cylinder lost compression? A blown head gasket is WAY easier than a full-on engine swap! You had a compression test done, and did you also have a leakdown test done? Maybe it ingested a rock and bent a valve; there's lots of things that can go wrong, up to and including a hole in the cylinder wall (which definitely would require an engine change)

Yes, there are some bolts in hard places. The bottom support on my intake manifold was difficult to reach but I don't have skinny arms, either. If you're removing the engine, it may be debatable whether or not you should pull the transaxle out with it, or if it would be easier to get the engine out by itself.

The oil is still an oil colour and there hasn't been any oil contamination from coolant, i haven't done a leeak down test, Maybe i'll do that before my next step, when i rev on the motor shes fine and wants to go, there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust at any time, which confuses me, even when i stomp on it. The car fights to stay alive at idle but once i'm on the gas pedal she doesn't want to stop.

Thanks for the tips
Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Running on 3 cylinders: not a good quality idle. If you replaced the spark plugs recently, one of them may have backed out. You never know, and it's not a rule that every car repair that sounds bad, is bad. Please keep us updated!

Oh, and if something is busted: you know we love us some pictures!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM

I did check all plugs and wires, all are in good condition,

it looks like i'll be doing the swap on the august 15th/16th/17th weekend, if she can last me til then. Pictures will be taken, hopefully one of us will have a camera.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM

I sucked up some water and killed cylinder #1 a few days ago, I may be doing an engine swap as well. Let me know how this goes!