Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bad Day At The Track For Loneshark

Old 09-18-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

ok so here it is, my very first entry into the motorsports thread, and no, its not a a good kill story, or a new best track time, but rather a crash and burn story, so here it goes, YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW, BANG!!!!!!

so yea, Im at the gate, revving at 4 g's, I dump the valeo hyper racing clutch, and SNAP, no go, just redline. and a slow embarrising roll down the track.

No gears at all, so Im sitting there, thinkin, ok, no crunching noises, when I put it into first, or any other gear, it still goes into gear smoothley, so what could it be ? axle ?? diff ?? so I turn off the parking lights, step out of the car, and theres about 200 people or so in the stands, and there quiet as a churchmouse, excpet for my 10 or so friends, laughing there asses off in the stands, so I hear my buddy screamin "what happend man, hahaha" so I put up my hands in the air in defeat, and the whole crowd freaking cheers, hahahaah, I was so stoked, but embarresed at the same time, I could have swore I heard some girls screamin out that they loved me and Im so hot, and i think i saw some hot chics flashing me, hahaha.

so anyway, after the slow push backwards towards the starting gate, they let me leave the car behind the gate behind the water box, so I pop the hood, and some dude comes over with a flashlight like he wants to help, but really he wants to tell his buddys what I did to my car, so we start shining the light around, and the drivers side axle is popped out ofthe tranny like a 1/4 inch, lost all the new synthetic MT-90 I just bought off of Odessit, so I couldnt put it up on the lift yet today, but I hope its just the diff, or a bad axle.

man i stopped the races for lke a half hour while they cleaned up the MT-90 off the track, lol, they were probably pissed, they said it was like scraping up molasses, haha.

so anyway, is the diff from the automatic the same as the manual, cuz i still have the autotragic, sitting in storage???? along with 2 automatic axles.

how much for a new diff stock or aftermarket ?? quaiffe ????

ok im done, tell me hopw stupid i was.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

it might not even be a problem i think 01importshark had that same problem before, on a mostly stock engine. his axle popped out of the diff a little.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:26 PM

sorry to hear that man 02.gif

Try putting the axle back in, maybe it just snapped out or you didn't put it in all the way when you did something.

I'm gonna move this to tranny and engine sections since it doesn't have much to do with drag racing.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

4GS? Little excited were you? lmao.gif

Should pop back in no problems might just be a weak point.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

no way, 4 grand is a perfect launch speed on street tires, anything less and the 60 foot times suck.

best 1/8th miles is a 10.7

thnaks guys, i hope that c clamp is the prob, i have my stock auto axles, i heard they were stronger than manual axles, should i pop those in and try ??? or maybe switch out the c clamp, i wont be able to work on the car till tomorrow.

ill keep ya posted wink1.gif
Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have no comment on your thinking that 4Gs is a good launch RPM, and I feel sorry for your transmission and axles.

As for the autos being stronger axles, I've always heard that if anything, the manual axles are beefier.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Autos and manuals use different joints in the axles.

My shop manual says that the manual uses a double offset joint for the outer, and the auto uses a tripod joint for the outer.

The lengths are
MT L 15.64" R 26.83"
AT L 15.68" R 26.66"

They are pretty close in length.

And I also Think a 4 G drop is bad.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 PM

phantom grip lsd for are cars are in jegs mags for $269 like said id check the axels first
Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 PM

phantom grips are a time bomb for your trans. get a real lsd, not a chunk of aluminum with a spring.