Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bad Day At The Track For Loneshark

Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

yes i have 25 splines on the 2.0 5spd manual
Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 AM

ok so i bought an used tranny for 300 with a one year warranty,

its from a 97 elantra, different speed sensor but I took mine off the tib tranny, and it matched up to this one.

whats the diff in gear ratios on a 97 elantra tranny compared to a 2000 (early) tib tranny?

but the damn throw out bearing wont come off, the snap ring wont open enuf to release the bearing, so Im trying right now to put up the tranny, and manuever the TOB release fork into place, I think I have it but im waiting on a buddy to push the tranny in, while I guide it from the top, and see if the TOB release fork rotates correctly, i think its gonna work.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

make sure you tightened all the suspension components. and is the popping sound when you make a left turn continuous ( like pop, pop, pop, pop) or just one POP.

mmm jiffy pop........
Old 09-27-2005, 07:48 PM

oh it was a snap le and pop !! like rice crispies !!!

until something blew a hole out of the bottom of the diff, yup, after 3 days of popping and locking, it said BOOOOM

I wont know for a couple of days when i have the time to sit down and tear apart the tranny, but its something in the diff for sure, probably a piece of the shredded axle got caught up in the spider gears, and finally it bit right and sent everything to a crashing halt.

so anywho, I got my tranny in today, a used 97 elantra tranny from the junker for 250, with a one year warranty for 50 bux, so 300, but its seems not to be clutching right, after looking at the clutch lever its not sitting in the right position.

the throw out bearing is in the right spot, engaged, I heard the familiar click.

maybe the TOB lever was shaped differently on the 97 tranny,

what Im gonna do is move the lever that over a few teeth, but its a keyed spline on the lever, so Im gonna grind out the keyed part, and place it to where it looks good, so Im clutching better.

symptoms :
hard to put in any gear
when it finally goes in gear the with the clutch depressed, the engine feels that its in gear, classic bad clutch symptom,

Im using the valeo 2200 pound pressure plate, and lightened flywheel, with a stock clutch disc, its not slipping, it still has the same bite as wit the 4 puc racing disc, but engagement is near stock.

what im thinkin is that the stock disc is thicker than the valeo 4puc disc, so the entire clutch is "thicker" so the clutch lever looks like its clutching, so like i said grind away the keyed part one the lever, and turn it back a few teeth, and the slave cylinder should push it far enuf so the clutch disengages more, thus removing my grinding into gear symptoms.

if after that, it still grinds into gear, Im gonna be tranny hunting again, or maybe ill rip apart my old blown tranny and throw all the gears and such into the "new" elantra tranny, maybe ill buy and new fifth gear from www.KSPEC.com too oh and a certain somebodys M&Tec 1.5 .

well see, tomorrows another day
Old 09-28-2005, 08:02 AM

whats the diff in gear ratios on a 97 elantra tranny compared to a 2000 (early) tib tranny?

Anyone have an answer to this? I'd be interested to know if there's a difference as well.