Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Automatic Transmission - Shifting Problem

Old 10-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Tib seems to have problems shifting (automatic transmission), especially from 3rd into OD. When this occurs, the problem usually goes away if you stop, turn off the engine, & then restart. I'm thinking it's got to be a chip or the ecu.

Anyone have this problem? What's the fix or where can I get more info? TIA.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Could be the TCM or the Tranny is fuxored

Swift had a similar problem and she took it into the dealer under warranty and they didnt even bother trying to repair anything, they just swapped a new tranny into it and problem gone
Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

does it bog or stall at all? i'm having a similar issue but it seems more fuel pressure related than anything else. maybe a bad coilpack.

do you have a CEL light on? i have had a P1619 which referred to ECU gone bad, but i had my ECU replaced and still the same problem just no CEL.

so far it could be:

burnt out Coilpack
O2 Sensor
Fuel Pressure Regulator
TCM
or the transmission.

(in order of importance/cost)
Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

when u say bog rite. does it mean u go up the hill its like around 2750 rpm then drop to 2000?

if this is it, it happened to me always. it goes down then up then down and i just hate it.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42 PM

It never bogs - basically the transmission just won't upshift from time to time. It usually occurs when it's really warm outside but has happened a few times of late. Like I mentioned, if you stop, shut down the car, then re-start it seems to take care of the problem. Is there a chip responsible for signalling the tranny to shift? When all's working properly, the shifting is smooth.

Alex,

What is the TCM? And yes, the CEL has come on, but doesn't stay on at all times.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

TCM is the transmission control module..the tranny ecu basically.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

it's nearly as expensive to get the TCM as a new tranny... and I believe a new tranny brings a new TCM with it if it's replaced under warranty.

if it's under warranty, have the dealership look at it. Try to get them to swap the tranny. Auto Trannies are known to go bad. I lost mine after 60,000 miles and they replaced it under warranty. I've had this new one for 65,000 and I'm waiting on it to die so I can swap a manual
Old 10-05-2006, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright buddy, let me give you some advice.

When I had my 1st auto, first it always had black tranny fluid..even when I did tranny maintenance itd go black within weeks. Then it did some odd things..like itd slip into 4th and itd only do that once in a while. I ignored it, but then it started doing that more and more. I ended up taking it to the dealer and I believe they found that there was a failure of one small component. They ended up just installing a brand new tranny. This was all warrantied so I didnt care.

If your car is under warranty, go to the dealer, let them check it..if they end up installing a new tranny (which they probably will because taking apart an auto is a b-tch), use it for a few months and get the parts to do a manual swap. Once you do that, you can sell your auto tranny and get money back.

Autos are always trouble on our cars, the best thing to do is to just swap.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM

Did some digging on the net and narrowed it down to the pulse generator, then brought it to a friend's place and scanned it for diagnostic codes.... came up P0722 which is the code for "No Pulse Generator - B". I'm actually surprised that there isn't more regarding this subject on the website.. it appears to be a common problem on 1997-2001 Tiburons. Anyways, $150 later at the Hyundai dealership and we're back in black. damnit.gif

If anyone requires more info on the subject, check out TSB 03-40-022. You can find it on www.hmaservice.com