Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Anti-freeze Smell

Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might not be the right area, so I'm sorry if it's not.

I've only noticed this the last few days, but whenever my heat is on, I start smelling anti-freeze. It's easier to notice when I'm using defrost. The heat doesn't seem to be as warm as usual, and the cold doesn't seem to be as cool.

The reason I think it could be the heater core is that with the defrost on, my windows fog up. Instead of clearing the windshield, the defrost actually makes it worse, and both warm and cool seem to do it. Condensation seems to build up out of nowhere, and trying to wipe the windows only helps for a couple of minutes. It just kinda smears, and doesn't get much better.

All this week I have to close at work, and I can't stand it. Last night in the 15 miles I drove home from work, my windows went from pretty much normal, to so foggy and streaky that I could barely see the road. I just cleaned my windows really well inside and out a couple days ago.

Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Could be from the core, but I'd lean more to you having a small leak or overflow in the engine bay and the air intake from the outside is pulling it in from the edge of the hood.

Try this.

Turn on your car, and change your blower to "RECIRCULATING" air, instead of pulling from the outside.

Let it get up to running temperature. If you smell coolant, go for a bit of a drive with the windows down to air the car out and roll them back up when the smell is gone. If you car is on RECIRC and you still smell it, it probably is leaking from the inside somewhere.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM

it does sound like you have a leak somewhere. Any dampness in the carpeting? I am not too familier with how the heat works on the tib, I have never had to get that deep into my car, but it could be the core, the hoses, or even the valve that controls how much coolant flows through the core. As you said the cold does not seem as cool any more, I am betting that the valve is sticking and leaking.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:08 PM

See if antifreeze is leaking out of the evaporator drain with it running

I had that happen to my sunbird. I was driving along and all of a sudden

got a real strong coolant smell. I pulled over and popped the hood and saw

coolant just pouring out of the evap drain.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

the tiburon activates the A/C to remove extra moisture from the air and removes the recirculate function from operation. Maybe one of those two things are not happening when you switch to defrost. If you find it is your switches, I have an extra set here I'll sell.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:21 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^^
not all Tibby stop recirculating when you turn on a/c nana.gif Korean spec don't do that
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 AM

Well, I tried it last night on the way home from work. I put it on recirc while I drove, and didn't turn the A/C or heat on until the car had warmed up. The bad part is it's only getting worse. If I keep it off for a while like that, and then turn it on, I get a small puff of smoke from the vents, which is probably the coolant that has burned off, but it doesn't come in until the A/C is on. It still smells like coolant, but because it's not released right away, instead of just smelling like it's leaking, it's obvious that it's burning off somewhere under the hood.

It's really starting to get on my nerves. My warranty's still good for a few more years, and 55,000 miles, anybody know if it'd be under warranty? I just got a new job, so I don't have much money, but even if it's not under warranty, I'm in no position to let it wait. I don't want it getting any worse.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

LOL Well DUH, take it in and have them look at it.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 PM

Well I know that. I'm just waiting for my next day off to take it in. If it's not under warranty, I'm gonna kill someone.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dude, recirculate keeps air in the vehical. You want fresh air to clear your windows and A/C will help make your air even dryer before it blows on your window. You need to find out if there's any leakage in your vehical and try to trace it back. The problem sounds like the heater core or associated piping may be cracked, worn, or damaged.

QUOTE (Dmitry @ Feb 14 2006, 03:21 AM)
^^^
not all Tibby stop recirculating when you turn on a/c nana.gif Korean spec don't do that

Do they stop when you turn on your defrost?

if you have an 01 vehical, you should be covered under your Bumper to Bumper 60Kmiles or 5 years warranty.