Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Another Swap Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

We figured it would be better to just add all the mods we wanted at once so we pulled out the motor for our tranny swap. Makes cutting firewall etc way easier we figure and adding all the internals for the clutch/brake pedal, shifter, cables etc.

I'm currently on day 4 without a car (about 22 hours of labor so far of actual work or attempted). I didn't want to totally ignore my parents visit when this tranny was suppose to be finished in two days before they got here so I worke donly half a day each on the weekend.

I'm not saying this swap is anything crazy for one to tackle but for the trouble and BADLY done car design and frame stamp layouts. I'd say I'd rather and with less trouble redo a whole new motor and could have it done in the time I've spent on this things hang-ups for hella more power.

1.)I know they are random problems mostly but my swap gave me the pleasure of not willing to let go of the a/c tensioner pulley so I have to replace it as I drilled through the nut and knicked and made unusable the pulley as well. I tried buying just a whole new assemply for ease of not drilling but that is a Dealership only part. Not listed at your common stores for order.

2.)Want to add my crank pulley mod, but the nut won't give even on an impact wrench at this point so f*ck the pulley, I'll leave it stock for now. Least I want have to guess on belts for the time being.

3.)Flywheel bolts?? Hmm. . . . nobody carries thoughs either for order cept the dealer. Napa came close but only caters to domestics. Nissan was close of the other motor we have sitting. So I can't put my tranny on until I get the bolts from the dealership Monday I hope.

4.) I will say though small, after having to grind through the firewall fo rthe clutch and the nut welded on it as well, and the fact that the manual shifter doesn't bolt up to the auto shifters bolts(back 2 do, fronts not even close), this is not really a direct swap mod for those of you who want to consider tackling it on the word that you read carefully and do it right the first time. Hondas and fords and GM all have plates on the firewall you just unscrew or holes preexist. Not stamped for you to cut and useless nut welds etc.

Was going to do front and rear main seals but not waiting for them to be order and get here, and the axle seals. . . not 2 bucks in the great D.C. area. $28 bucks those ran me.

Got my airram on, Outlaw spacers, and my exhaust manifold, hafta make the hole for cruise control but again though not an issue, the product should have been better made for it in the first place. May bore my TB a bit bigger as the prices for ones without cruise ability and only 3-5mm bigger are overpriced since you can do all that with your stock one. Redz did a good job on the add-ons for the CAI extension so I'm going with that there.

I have more but my minds all over the place. I just thought I would put this up so people can make their decisions on this mod (the tranny part) and see different ends of the spectrum on what you could run into if your on a time frame or don't have another car. Luckily I do but was hoping I could spend time away from the car beings I leave for Korea Wednesday and this car has to be drivable for my wife by that time. My buddy is a GM mechanic mind you and has done entire motor swaps on imports in a day or two in his driveway and has cursed this car to no end but will finish it even if I leave and can no longer help. Stated just so you know we aren't mechanically inadequate or lacking proper tools.

All I can say is sell your car for a manual, as in the end, the mod is still just a stock car you could have bought and do the upgrades from there.

If you read all this where are the Hyundai Pro's at? Torque specs anyone?
Auto tranny anyone? Only 18k on it.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

lol i may need an auto trans. where are you at, anyway? i think its either a newer trans or (lol) manual swap. I have a ton of tools and a lift and everything I can use though
Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 AM

I'm in Frederick, MD.

It was a replacement from Hyundai when the last one got sloppy at about 66+k. I have 84k on the car now.

All in all if I can get the bolts and the ac/ tensioner parts, stabalize front of the shifter so it doesn't wobble, I just have to put it all back together and drop her in(reverse those). Torque up the airram and exhaust manifold. Oh yeah and figure out the crank pulley then belts. . . . hmmm.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM

We will get it done. As soon as those parts arrive I will bo on this like white on rice, nu pun intended with asian car. I think this swap is a great learning tool, especially for you Darkchylde. I think you have learned a lot and have asked soo many great questions throughout this ordeal. I am having a great time working on this with you and cannot wait to drive it.

-Paul
Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

ah the DIY attitude at it's best...

LOL, it's all hit or miss with Hyundai. I have had those projects that go so smooth I have time to go and do it all over again with pictures for a DIY for the community. Then there's the shit that makes me want to shoot the car..

But no worries, there is worse out there than the Hyundai Tiburon... LOL

2.)Want to add my crank pulley mod, but the nut won't give even on an impact wrench at this point so f*ck the pulley, I'll leave it stock for now. Least I want have to guess on belts for the time being.

Idea... Maybe save this for last. Don't put the timing belt, alt., PS, and AC and all that on when you put the motor back in. Just put in the block and head and leave the motor supported from the ground and don't install the pass. side motor mount just yet. Don't put plugs in, but once you can crank engine with key get your 22mm (I think) socket and breaker bar and position it on the crank nut and braced against the floor, then blip starter and it will come off.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 PM

pm me on that trans. Im in WI but if the price is right Id pay for shipping. Let me know
Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Ericy321 @ Jul 3 2007, 09:38 PM)
pm me on that trans. Im in WI but if the price is right Id pay for shipping. Let me know

You mean the auto we are taking out?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks Patreezy. It's all good. Finally coming together, but I hate driving off post to go get a part I need or forgot, but all in all it's good. Starting to come together. Just trying to rework some stuff and make fit here and there. My airbags have used up ALOT of my firewall space for moving stuff around to areas where I can relocate things to make fit. Actually makes me pay more attention to others engine bays and am more impressed on som eof the ideas all being different. Of course when yours doesn't look like that and your trying to compare. It doesn't help smile.gif It's all cool though.

I'm too excited and bumbed at the same time. I just wanna snap my fingers like MARY POPPINS and go driving.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM

ya i may need the auto. pm me with location and everything
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 PM

I hate starting other threads for a question etc, so I hope someone reads this thread. . . again. . . and can help me out.

My car is running (though a leaky gear oil poroblem we are working on) but anyway. My car will not give up my key. It did on the short trip down the street and back, but when I took it out this morning around post, when I got back I can no longer turn my car to the off position to remove it.

Can anybody help me?

I think it has to do with the wire to the 12v source. It is on a constant source so I suppose it thinks the car is in drive ALL the time. . . I removed the wire and started the car but it will not release. Do I have to hook it up to a Key Control 12v? and it will do the trick?

Thanks for any input you guys can give me.

(+1 for the auto to manny swap members.)