Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Another exhaust question

Old 04-26-2002, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Another exhaust question

I've got a problem with my exhaust and was wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice. It sounds fine under normal driving, but when I kick it up to around 4K rpms, it starts making a high pitched buzzing sound. It's pretty annoying and I want to know what I can do to make it go away. I've got a SR 4-2-1 header, hi flow cat, custom 2.25" exhaust w/ 18" resonator, and Magnaflow muffler. I talked to a guy at Midas about putting a bigger resonator in, but with the way my exhaust is setup, he said there's no way to put a bigger one in. The only thing he could think of was to get a new muffler, but I really don't want to spend the money on a new one if there's some other way to fix it.

[ April 26, 2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Robert ]
Old 04-26-2002, 04:52 PM

From my experience, your problem could be one of these.

1) Midas sucks. I don't know where those guys put your resonator on, but my glasspack is 23 inches long and there was still plenty of space to put longer glasspack.

2) Does that high pitch sound occurs every time you press the gas pedal? If it only does during first few minutes after you turn on the car, then it is normal.

3) I also have Magnaflow muffler and had similar problem when I installed header without putting any kind of resonator. At 3K plus RPM, the car sounded like sh*t (vibrating sound). At first, I thought that it was the muffler touching with bumper, but in turned out to be muffler's problem. It was fixed after putting 23" cherry bomb muffler.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:27 PM

usualy you get the whine sound when there is no cat installed. i have it but i also get rid of the cat all together and have just a strait pipe. are u sure midas put a high flow cat or just hollowed one out and stuck it on. heard of it done...
Old 04-26-2002, 05:50 PM

The exhaust work was done at a local shop. I just went to the Midas while I was out of town working. He said he didn't want to mess with the resonator since it was so close to the gas tank.

It only makes the sound when the rpms get to about 4K and up.

Where can I get a cherry bomb muffler?
Old 04-27-2002, 04:33 AM

Dude, that Midas guy is a chicken. When my shop had to put custom mandrel bent pipe, the had to weld it right near the gas tank. With his skill (like welding then shooting water, then welding again), it was done succefully. Compare to to, resonator is far and far away from the gas tank.

You can buy cherry bomb muffler from Pepboy for $15.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go get one of those glasspacks, and try to find another shop that will do the work for me.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:42 PM

So the glasspack DID kill the LOUD weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise @higher rpm's? If so...PEPboys tomorrow...install on Monday!
Old 04-27-2002, 05:12 PM

Yes, it did completely kill those high pitched sound. Now it sounds very nice (yet very powerful sound).