Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Airram Install ?'s Hopefully Answered

Old 07-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know about the gains please!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 PM

Nice pics and info! fing02.gif

As for the gains...without a header/exhaust (or turbo!) I can't imagine he'd see much gain from the Airram setup yet.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:25 PM

QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Jul 25 2005, 06:08 PM)
2 feet of high pressure fuel injection 5/16ths hose. this is for the fuel lines to the throttle body.

This line bothered me... Fuel line to the Throttle Body?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:06 PM

coolent line, sorry, not fuel
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Here's my response.

First off, MAD PROPS to Pat. The guy's a frikkin genious. Just walking into his place I could see how much this guy loves working on his cars. Lots of people have skill. But he's humble about his. That's why he's an awesome person to have met.

He's covered most of the points installation wise. I should mention that I've also intalled the Hondata heatshield gasket. I'll break my response into the things I like and the things I don't.

1) Throttle response is ALOT better. Just tapping the gas yields instant thrust. Car pulls noticably better.

2) The sound is overpowering when combined with the AEM. Ask Pat.

3) The car breathes better and revs quicker, all the way to 5k rpms. At that point, you can feel the exhaust holding you back. Its hard to explain except that it feels choked. Not for long though (My Apexi is on the way...bwuahahaha!)

4) This one might be a surprise. GAS MILEAGE. I've driven 85% highway at 55 mph and I just passed a half tank with 340+ something miles. Im expecting at another 150 miles out of the 16 gallons total I poured in. I'll post the exact mileage when Im done.

5) And now for gains. I'm not going to throw a number out there, but the car feels as different as it did when I put the AEM on. I think the two make a good pair ( a BBTB will make this a nice threesome). If Im lucky, I gained 4-5 whp.

Dislikes:

1) A few of the wires/ hoses are really stretched to accomodate the Airram. Worried about breakage, cracks etc.

2) When engaging 1st gear, if I dont rev the car enough for a normal takeoff (stalling), a couple of "thuds" can be heard inside the passenger bay. This only happens at takeoff but it cheapens the car.

3) If the Hondata heatshield is working, I can't tell. The IM is hot as hell to the touch. Someone please justify this and tell me I didnt waste $60.

Questions? Ask.

Hope this helps

Aviv aka Screwdriver
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Glad you are happy.

QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Jul 26 2005, 06:20 PM)
Dislikes:

1) A few of the wires/ hoses are really stretched to accomodate the Airram. Worried about breakage, cracks etc.

Longer hoses/wires, problem solved. LOL You will find that you can cut the OEM wire loom a bit and it will give you slack.

2) When engaging 1st gear, if I dont rev the car enough for a normal takeoff (stalling), a couple of "thuds" can be heard inside the passenger bay. This only happens at takeoff but it cheapens the car.

Uhm, WTF is that from?

3) If the Hondata heatshield is working, I can't tell. The IM is hot as hell to the touch. Someone please justify this and tell me I didnt waste $60.

Yeah, it's working, it's just less hot. No one said it'd be cold to the touch my man.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Jul 26 2005, 07:20 PM)

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jul 26 2005, 07:24 PM)
Uhm, WTF is that from?

Sounds to me like something is hitting the firewall when the engine is moving.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:46 PM

Longer hoses I can do. Longer wiring, especially when its grouped, no way.

Im not sure where the IM is hitting, but it could be behind the IM or the hood. Or perhaps when we didn't reinstall this metal bracket (below the Stock IM in picture 2) that led to lack of support of some sort?

In any case, Im not certain what it is.

As far as the Heatshield goes, I burned my fingers before I had it, I burned em again after we installed it.

All in all, Im happy with the install. Now, I plan to get the following:

GT Headers
VHR Clutch Kit (with forged Flywheel)
61-65mm BBTB
Shark Racing Pulley set (unless Jspeed is making us RD1's something, Redz?)
Vertical Door Kit
RD2 Interior Swap.
Good Paint Job

Then, for around $6000 total including purchase price, I have a car I will be content with as long as she lasts.

xxxmonoxidechild says Turbo is the way to go. I would agree (and have my eye on Ricks Stage I Turbo kit) But I want a car I can drive to work and back without worrying about calling a tow truck. Lets see.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 PM

there is no where behinf the mani that would hit. plenty of room there.

the support bracket from the original manifold, there is no way to reuse. the AIRRAM doesnt have mounting holes for it. thats one thing i know isnt THAT important, but i really thinkthey should have kept when they designed the manifold in the first place.

the wiring definitly needed to be stretched for the AIRRAM also. it was a very tight fit.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, you still burned your fingers, but now it's just a 1st degree burn.

LOL

As for the pulleys, there will be something concrete here shortly...