Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Advice For My 99 Elantra, What To Do Next?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am stuck at this point where I really want boost, but can't afford it now, so my question(s) are. What can I buy that would allow me to tune at least the AFR and view it, would it be even worthwhile to do? The only things left I can do besides turbo that I can think of is fix my AFR issue (bank 0 o2 is borked from my headers), and get a stage 2-3 clutch and a light weight flywheel. If I am running rich, which i probably am, what kind of benefit would I get by getting say a unichip or smt-6 and making a nice tune? Or is there some simple way to get the AFR in line without a full on stand alone? I am 99% sure on buying the ebay XTD kit which should hold with my driving a lot better than these valeo pieces of crap. I would love to not have any clutch slipping(even minor) between gears if i rev up there.
So basically I am asking what would you do if this was your car to gain a little more power without a turbo? I am really not all that sad about what power I have now, but I would like a little more of course, until i can get the money to piece together turbo parts.
Thanks

er, I forgot i don't have a sig yet
What I have done so far... Intake, header, custom exhaust with aftermarket cat and one resonator, high flow cat and muffler, UR crank pulley, no ac/ps, 1.8 cam, 5 speed swap, tb coolant bypass.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I would do what I am doing, lol. If you want to boost eventually, youre going to have to put in a controller anyway, so get a standalone installed and get used to tuning it. This will sqeeze out some more power and get you closer to ready to boos at the same time.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. So votes go out for the smt-6? I might pick up the 1.8l ecu as well since people seem to praise that quite a bit, though 110 speed cap is ehhh.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

^^^

You would be better going with AEM FIC
Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 PM

if you are going to tune, why bother with another ecu? Personally I would go with the megasquirt, if you do it yourself instead of buying the pnp from kfx you can slowly take over things. first you can just get it reading sensors so you can monitor, then you can take over fuel and spark individually.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM

I posted an offer for the smt-6, why would it be bad to go for the smt-6 vs the other piggybacks?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 PM

the smt6 is for tricking the ecu and adding an injector, with the megasquirt or fic you can actually take control away from the ecu and control the injectors and coils with your own maps
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 AM

Another random question.. If I buy a wideband and something to tune the car, can I put the wideband in bank 1 and just keep the bank 0 sensor the way it is? Would the ecu flip out if i just got rid of the other o2 sensor?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

The ECU will pull a code thinking that the air/fuel mixture is incorrect, causing many small issues. The AEM FIC is your best bet to be able to adjust the injection on the car without issues. The SMT-6 is not somewhat dated technology I believe, and unless you are using it with a turbo box and dual rail kit, is pointless on its own. I'm a big fan of the Innovative LC-1, my old car had it on it for close to 6,000 miles and it was on another car before that with 4,000 miles, never stopped working. I would also suggest you read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. This will really explain much of the forced induction application to you and the book dives deeper into theory. If you want a copy PM me and I will send you one in PDF.