Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

5 speed difficult to put into reverse gear?

Old 01-24-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are for the plugs... I just need the wires.... thanks though..
Old 01-24-2004, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

sorry...selective reading on my part
Old 01-24-2004, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (KayJai)
QUOTE (tibby01)
synchros are gone on revere gear.

No they're NOT!
If it were, you'd be grinding like a SOB, even if you had the clutch all the way.

But like the others said, this is somewhat "normal" for our RDs
Worst were the 97's, HOLY CRAP! Anyway change the fluid, and it'll improve. Has it been done since you got the car? How many km's / miles on it?
Also, when shifting into reverse, shift into another gear first, ie:

Put clutch in
Put in say 4th
and while still on the clutch, make a "n" and go over to reverse, works 99.99% of the time

i was responding to this....

QUOTE (Shark01Racing)
and my buddy w/ an RD FX did have the same problem...but now his has worsened and maybe someone can help....
now, every time he puts it in reverse, it will grind into gear. he says no matter how hard he pushes down on the cluth, it will always grind into reverse. i'm gonna try it out, so i can give a first-hand impression on it....but can anyone else give any feedback? it shouldn't be grinding, especially every time!...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I have the same problem, if you just let the clutch back out, then bring it back into Reverse, should be no prob.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

what would i tell my friend then (then one w/ the apparent synchro problem). like, what needs to be fixed/replaced. he knows less about tibs than i do (sad, huh) tongue.gif
Old 01-24-2004, 08:07 PM

QUOTE (KayJai)
QUOTE (tibby01)
synchros are gone on revere gear.

No they're NOT!
If it were, you'd be grinding like a SOB, even if you had the clutch all the way.

Not to counterdict you... but you do NOT need syncros to engage reverse. If the car is not moving you can out the car into ANY gear without syncros.. Trust, my Fiat spider has a straight cut reverse gear.. non-syncro.. while it is possible to grind it going into reverse.. that is only if the car is moving AT ALL.

As for the above.. change your fluid.. you might even want to look into Redline's hydraulic fluid for the manual tranny. I have heard a lot of good things about it.. to the point where I am going to add it to mine when I change the fluid this spring.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:11 PM

well i am sorry to say but you are all some what off on the subject.. there are no syncros for the reverse gear.... you help with the grindin or hard time you have puttin it into reverse.. put it into firstgear first.. then go right to reverse..
Old 01-24-2004, 10:48 PM

I have tested many many solutions to the common problem. This is my ultimate result:

How to get your car into reverse 100% of the time: If you are parked on any kind of a hill push in the clutch, leave the shifter as far into the reverse slot as possible, slowly let off the brake, just as you begin to move you can pop the shifter into the reverse position. If you are not parked on a hill barely use the accelerator/let off the clutch, there is a magic spot which will allow you to put the car in reverse and not grind the clutch at all. That is how it works

Everyone go out to their cars, try this, and congratulate me on being a genius
Old 01-25-2004, 02:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Congrats jackass, I just got in a wreck.

LOL
Old 01-25-2004, 08:13 AM

LOL!

And yes, some cars do have syncros on the reverse gear.. just to avoid people complaining about the car grinding when going into reverse...