Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

3" Maf Intake Piece

Old 10-28-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

So, I have been hating that stupid black rubber piece on my intake where my AEM attaches to. It goes down to like a 1" diameter. What's the point of having the AEM and a BBTB if it squeezes down right in the middle. Ya know? Anyways, I remember one person on here made one, I think it was I8acobra or soemthing like that, but that's not an option for me. So, after looking for a wihle I've come across this and it is available at my local Autozone but I'm not sure if I should buy it. Check it out.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.8705

This piece looks like it could replace the rubber elbow. Naturally you would have to mod it a little for the hoses.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.8728

I also happen to like their site. It's very user friendly.
***HINT***::cough::Blacktibs::cough::Flyryde::coug h::***HINT***
Old 10-29-2006, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It doesn't go down that much, but if you check out my Airram thread, I used that spectre elbow and their vaccum line attachment kit from autozone, parts numbers and pics included.

Thems the pics.

Find da thread.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Something I've been wondering that kind of goes a long with this. Is there any way of getting a bigger MAF? Maybe from another car or something. There would probably be a lot of problems getting it to com. with the ecm. Oh well just a thought.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Banned

and y would u need a bigger MAF LTD? wiring it wouldnt be a problem, as long as the voltage was the same, i would assume, just splicing pretty much.

but why need the bigger one?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

No need really. I just figured it would be a little less restriction.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

eh, N/A youll probably NEVER max it out, or get close, so no need..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM

But if you insist on trying it the K&N SRi for the V6 MAF would let you fit that one, with a little ingenuity. Check the photo in my starting problem thread. Thats the K&N intake rammed into the OEM elbow..it buts up perfectly to the V6 MAF. You may find nearer the OEM size gives plenty of flow as Socks pointed out. You cant guarantee another MAF sending values that make sense to the ECU....could end up lean...(shudder) cuz the same volume of air would move more slowly through the bigger bore. The OEM MAF has been matched to the ECU and has lots of scope to cope with heatwaves and arctic chills with extra dense air. . . so now I cant understand why I told you which would fit. smile.gif
Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (LTD5stringer @ Oct 29 2006, 12:31 AM)
Something I've been wondering that kind of goes a long with this. Is there any way of getting a bigger MAF? Maybe from another car or something. There would probably be a lot of problems getting it to com. with the ecm. Oh well just a thought.

Yes there is. I happen to have a 3" GK/XG MAF sitting in my garage. It's much bigger than the stock one. You just need to splice the stock MAF wires to the new MAF connectors. It also has a built in temp sensor. So you could also remove your temp sensor and connect the wires to the MAF to clean it up.
The only thing you need to do is use a piggyback controller like an SAFC to convert the signal.