Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2nd Gear Grinding...

Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

It used to be only sometimes, then it got more frequent, now its all the time. If I shift into 2nd above like 6k RPMs, it grinds and won't go in. Just about every time. I used to think it was because I was trying to shift to quick and wasn't good at it, but if I am above 6k in first, put the clutch all the way in to the floor, and shift slowly into 2nd, it grinds, and doesn't want to go.
I'm guessing synchros?

I don't have this problem in any other gear.

What can I do? I've already replaced the gear oil, I've got Royal Purple in there.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yes, unfortunately it's the 2nd gear synchro. I have the same problem, it grinds whenever I shift above 4-5k rpm, regardless of how fast or slow I do it. Putting Royal Purple in there didn't help mine at all (I will try redline next, but I doubt it will make a difference)

If you plan on changing your clutch any time soon, I would start looking around for a low mileage tranny and just swap it in..

Till then, do like fast and furious teaches you and doubleclutch smile.gif
Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 AM

What do you mean doubleclutch?

I've heard of double declutching, but that was for cars that didn't utilize synchros. Plus, shifting that way is sooo slow.

The thing is, my tranny is new. Only about 60k on it.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

double clutching still helps.. its not that slow if you get used to it.

and if your not racing or anything, an extra half second to your shift isnt gonna matter..

i had issues with my tib going into second gear, so i jammed it in and my clutch exploded. owned.gif

i had the second gear syncro issue before i even started to mod my old tib. and i had 63k on it when i sold it.. started having syncro issues on the beta I trans at like 45k miles..

never had syncro issues with the beta II trans.

double clutching to my knowledge is pushing in clutch >> putting in N >> let clutch out >> push clutch in >> select gear seemed to help me a lil but i also only had syncro issues mostly at higher rpm.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yes, double clutching is how they used to shift gears when there were no synchros.

Like Socks said, you push the clutch, shift to N, release the clutch, push it again, then shift into the new gear. The idea is that when you first push the clutch (and let throttle off) the engine rpms fall, so when you release the clutch momentarily, you make the clutch-side part of the tranny stuff spin down, closer to the rpm it will be at when shifting into the new gear. You don't need to release the clutch completely, so you can do it pretty fast.

Yes, it is slower, but you can train yourself to do it very fast if you do it often. I don't really do it often because I don't need to when driving normally (shifting under 4k).

Socks: by the way, I remember the clutch exploding thing, but did you ever figure out why it happened? the clutch shouldn't be under any stress even if you force it into second gear right?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM

try redline mt90, it fixed my 2nd gear grind when i had it, and royal purple could not fix it.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Redline Mt90 fixed most of my 2nd gear grinding, if I shift above 6K, I still occasionally get a grind, but instead of double clutching, I just hold the clutch in for a 1/2 second longer while shifting.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM

So Redline > Royal Purple huh? Didn't see that comin, but if you guys say so.

Do you also use the Lucas stabalizer?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM

I also like redline mt -90 a lot better then royalpurple. I had similar problems like yours.. I couldn't get into second and when I did it grinded.. but my tranny blew up shorty after having problems.. I had royal purple in when it blew up lol...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM

You guys are scaring me..