DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Weight Reduction

Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

^^^ Didn't you say that you had problems with the 680 like the battery not having enough power to start your car after listening to music for an hour or two?

That wouldnt be good for me because I listen to music whenever I work on my car (unless the work I am doing requires me to disconnect the battery for safety reasons).

But yeah I have been interested in doing that swap for a while, just a little iffy from what you said in a previous post somewhere.

You would lose the weight of not only the battery, but the metal battery tray as well.

I am going to swap the fans right now, lol.

BTW: My fidanza flywheel weighed 7.5 lbs and the stocker weighed 15 so that is 7.5 lbs of rotational mass reduction. Actually, the stage 3 clutch/pressure plate, and fidanza weighed 8 lbs less than the stock stuff.

Does removing the shifter counterweight at the tranny make shifting more difficult??

How hard is it to steer without the p/s? I think I removed the belt once and it was a bioch that I didn't want to deal with. Is there a noticable difference in throttle response and acceleration?

I think I am going to carefully remove the a/c system here soon, since fall and winter are coming I won't be needing it. I will be sure to post up all of the weights from it as well.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tdonnell @ Aug 16 2006, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^^ Didn't you say that you had problems with the 680 like the battery not having enough power to start your car after listening to music for an hour or two?

That wouldnt be good for me because I listen to music whenever I work on my car (unless the work I am doing requires me to disconnect the battery for safety reasons).

But yeah I have been interested in doing that swap for a while, just a little iffy from what you said in a previous post somewhere.

You would lose the weight of not only the battery, but the metal battery tray as well.</div>
Well, this IS a weight reduction thread for racing. So doing things like that is gonna have its sacrifices. The car started up fine, just not as well as the Optima. And doesn't have near the capacity for running it with the car off. Personally, I have both and just swap them for racing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Does removing the shifter counterweight at the tranny make shifting more difficult??</div>
Nope. And there's a weight on the pass. motormount.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>How hard is it to steer without the p/s? I think I removed the belt once and it was a bioch that I didn't want to deal with. Is there a noticable difference in throttle response and acceleration?</div>
I tried with the belt disconnected and it was pretty difficult. But Random suggested to remove the fluid in the system to make it easier. But I didn't go that far. Again, seemed like a race only mod to me.

Flywheel weights added.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks jon, I will be removing those weights today as well as swapping over the fans.

Gotta get off my ass and go do it, lol.

Well, I just did the fan swap. The larger fan weighs 5 lbs. and the smaller a/c fan only weighs 3.5 so that is another 1.5 lbs. Not to mention having a much cleaner look inside the engine bay with more room too.

I had to modify the mounting areas a bit to make it work, but it is very secure. The electrical connectors are different, so I just cut the two connectors from my other wrecked tib, and soldered together a 'plug and play' harness, lol, so the install is very clean.

I also go the pass. motormount out, probably only weighs a third of a pound, but every little bit helps!

I couldn't get the lock-pin out of the shifter weight. It is probably easier to do with the trans out of the car (would've been nice to know a month ago when I was doing my clutch and fidanza, lol).

I would say it probably weighs about a pound, but that is just an estimation.

Oh, I weighed the spare tire cover and it came in at 6 lbs.

I think instead of leaving the spare tire cover, and the other cloth/fiberboard peice that the spare tire cover meshes with in the car, I am going to take them out and paint the silver flooring gloss black.

I have also removed the rear seats and hardware, but I made up a black carpeted peice that fits perfectly and even curves with the two rear plastic panels on the left and right of the seats. If I took all 3 of those cloth flooring cover peices out, I could probably drop another 15 lbs.

Any tips on removing the shifter weight while it is in the car would be appreciated.

BTW: What two small brackets near the rear hatch wall are you referring to?? The ones underneath the plastic peices that hold the trunk cover? (Right overtop of the rear strut top mounts)?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:17 PM

I was able to easily remove the weight on the shift linkage. The bolt was on top. However, my friends 00 had a solid weight that was not removeable. I'm not sure which years had this option.

I had two hooks on the rear wall of the hatch. They might have been for the mesh grocery bag.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM

Oh, my shifter weight has one of those expanding pins holding it on. You know, the pin that is a cylinder with a slot in it, when you install it you have to sort of squish it into a perfect circle. After it is installed in the bore, it is constantly pushing outward, this action holds it in place.

Anyway, I tried a few things to remove it, but I would need to get a punch directly in line with it with enough room to get a good swing on it with a hammer. With my extra short b&m shifter, it wouldn't hurt to have it anyway.

I removed the battery tray (about .5lbs if that) and weighed the battery that I have in the car, it is a die hard international. I don't think it is as large as the stocker, but it still came in at 32.5lbs. Making it worth while for me to swap over to the odyssey (would save me 17.5 lbs). Any recommended ebay sellers for this?? I wish I could find a local dealer. There is one seller that has the automotive terminals with it, but overall it will cost 101 shipped, kinda expensive if you ask me. Of course, a carbon fiber hood would save what, 25 lbs, and it costs 700 for a good quality one so maybe it's not that bad. Any problems starting in cold weather with that battery? Temperature numbers would be nice too.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

man... we've come up with quite an extensive list!

would there be much weight reduction in replacing factory fans with Flex-A-Lite fans?

if you remove A/C and condenser, can you remove the A/C fan with no problem?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM

^^^You can remove the a/c fan with no problem even if you still have a/c.

I would only really worry about it if outside temps are usually above 100 F and seeing how winter is coming, there is no big deal removing it.

I actually removed the larger fan and scooted over the smaller a/c fan into it's place to save 5 lbs instead of 3.5. I will get back to you all on how it works out.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

remove all un-nessary fuses and relays. i saw an article about an s2000 shedding some pounds and they drilled holes in everything to save weight, it'd prolly save alot of weight but it'd probably KILL you in any kind of crash! use zip ties instead of screws where there isn't much weight being held (interior stuff). i think there is alot of different brakets throughout the rds that may not be needed (look into that one). my old co-worker told me that there was some kinda race team that was drilling out alot of their hardware and saving a few pounds but risking alot.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OK, bout the power steering? If you drain the fluid its really not that much harder than stock. The reason its real hard when you only have the belt cut is because the fluid is still there and under some pressure, when you turn the steering wheel you are also moving the fluid, and you have to turn the fluid through the pump.

The only time youll even remember you dont have p/s is when turning the wheel when completely stopped, like pulling out of a parking spot.

But you get used to it within a week and barely notice, not to mention you work a little harder and eventually might get a lil more upper body strength and maybe shed some pounds off yourself hehe.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and i guess i can add some more weight to my list of weight i dropped today, one because i didnt think the big stock fan was 5 lbs, and my FAL was ~.5-1 lbs so theres about 4 more pounds lost

AND i also took out that weight in the glove box. and i weighed it. - 2.9lbs

Ill edit it in there.

So now my total weight removed is 75.1lbs
Old 08-17-2006, 06:37 AM

^^^Yea, I had a long conversation with Random about it on HA.com We came to the same conclusion that it's easier without the fluid. I still didn't want to get rid of it.

Do you have your PS?